» Residential Electrical Wiring: Guide to Home Wiring
» Need Electrical Help? Ask the Electrician
Installing Remote Control Ceiling Fans
How to Install a Remote Control Module Kit for a Ceiling Fan: Some new ceiling fans have the remote control module wired directly into the fan so there is no exterior remote control module to wire.
Ceiling Fan Wiring for a New Remote Control
Electrical Question: I’m attempting to replace a preexisting ceiling fan with a newer model with remote control.
- The new fan is a Hunter “Cedonia” model # 27475.
- My house is currently wired with 2 switches for the fan (one for the lights and one for the fan).
- When I removed the old fan the old fan had a green, white, black and a blue wire (blue wire had a “lights” sticker on it.
- The new fan only has green, white, black.
- The problem is I end up with 2 extra white wires coming from the box.
- These 2 white wires are wrapped around each other.
- Did I simply buy the wrong type of fan?
This home electrical wiring question came from: Richard, a Homeowner from Fort St. James, BC, Canada.
Additional Comments: This website is a great idea.
Thanks for your electric wiring question Richard.
Preparations for Installing a Remote Control for a Ceiling Fan
- Application: Ceiling Fan Remote Control.
- Skill Level: Beginner to Intermediate – Best if wired by a Licensed Electrical Contractor.
- Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools and Voltage Tester.
- Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience and ability to work with tools.
- Precaution: Identify the light circuit, turn it OFF and Tag it with a Note before working with the wiring.
- Materials: Make sure the remote control unit is fully compatible with the ceiling fan you have and the size of the lamps that will be installed in the fixture.
How to Install a Remote Control for a Ceiling Fan
Richard, some new ceiling fans have the remote control module wired directly into the fan so there is no exterior remote control module to wire.
- With these types of remote control ceiling fans you only need to make the connections to the black, white and green wires in the ceiling fan box at the ceiling.
- The remote control features will provide switching capabilities for operating the fan speed and the light. The extra wires that are not needed are simply capped off with wire nuts or wire connectors, and the extra wall switch will not be connected.
- The one main wall switch will control the power to the ceiling fan so it must be in the ON position so the remote control can operate the ceiling fan. When a remote control module kit will be wired to a ceiling fan that does not have the built in module then the same wiring scenario is used except the wires for the ceiling fan and the light fixture are connected typically to the black and blue wires respectively.
- There are a few different types of remote control kits, so be sure to check the wiring instructions for the specific wiring connections. More information about remote control modules may be obtained in the following information.
How to Install Ceiling Fans and a Remote Control
- Install a Remote Control for a Ceiling Fan
- Step-by-step pictures
- Easy wiring diagrams and installation guide
- Light and fan switch variations.
Remote Control Ceiling Fans
- How to Install Ceiling Fans and Wiring
- Take the mystery out of ceiling fan wiring. Ceiling Fans are a great way to lower your energy bill and brighten up one of your favorite rooms.
- Introduction to Ceiling Fan Remote Controls
- Part 1 – Locating the Frequency Switches and Settings
- Part 2 – Replacing a Wall Switch with a Remote Control Switch
- Part 3 – Installing a Remote Control Hugger Ceiling Fan
- Part 4 – Installing a Remote Control Down Rod Ceiling Fan
- Remote Control Ceiling Fans – Articles
This link is helpful as a Homeowner
The following may also be helpful for you:
Electrical Wiring Video #2
Home Electrical Wiring Videos about this Topic and More
Dave's Companion Guide to Home Electrical Wiring:
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
|More articles about Ceiling Fans, Remote Control and Home Electrical Wiring:|
|« Previous||Next »|
|How to Improve Your Power Quality||How to Wire a Combo Plug and Switch|