Locate and Repair an Electrical Circuit Problem
Locating a Problem Electrical Circuit and Methods for Electrical Circuit Repair – The electrical circuit will need to be removed from the circuit breaker and a special circuit locating transmitter can be installed onto the wire to help locate the area that has been penetrated.
Methods for Electrical Circuit Repair
Electrical Question: I just had new siding installed on my house.
- During the installation, one of my 120v circuits became shorted and the breaker will not reset.
- I assume there is a nail from the new siding causing the short.
- What is the best way to locate and repair the circuit?
This electrical wiring question came from: Cory, a Handyman from Colorado Springs, Colorado
See more about Electrical Wiring for Colorado
Thanks for your electrical wiring question Cory.
Locating a Problem Electrical Circuit and Methods for Electrical Circuit Repair
Skill Level: Intermediate to Advanced
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools and Voltage Tester or Continuity Tester
Estimated Time: Depends on experience and level of problem solving skills.
Precaution: Testing live wires is dangerous and should be done by an experienced individual only. Testing using a continuity tester should only be made after the circuit has been identified and turned OFF and Tagged.
- The electrical circuit will need to be removed from the circuit breaker and a special circuit locating transmitter can be installed onto the wire to help locate the area that has been penetrated.
- This is best done by a qualified electrician.
- In the mean time all the devices that are on this circuit can be identified and the wiring can be tested to located the potential problem section of the circuit.
- The wiring leading to the problem area can be disconnected so the devices closest to the panel may be used, however all the remaining devices on the circuit will not work.
- If the damaged area of the wiring cannot be accessed then that section of wiring can be identified and capped off at both ends of that area of the affected circuit.
- The remaining devices of the circuit may be reconnected to another existing circuit or a new circuit can be installed to provide power fro the remaining devices.
The Following will assist you with Electrical Circuits
- Electric Circuit Listing
- The size of the home electrical service panel is designed by calculating the square footage of the home and factoring in the code requirements for the electrical circuits that are required.
- Electrical Wiring Protection using Circuit Breakers
- A guide to home electrical circuit breakers and how they work to protect your electrical wiring.
- When properly installed, your home electrical wiring is protected by a circuit protection device.
For more information about Troubleshooting
- Troubleshooting Electrical Wiring
- Licensed Electrician Reveals the Secrets of Successful Electrical Troubleshooting
- Methods used to solve the majority of the home electrical problems and wiring failures encountered.
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
The Safest Way to Test Electrical Devices and Identify Electric Wires!The Non-Contact Electrical Tester
This is a testing tool that I have had in my personal electrical tool pouch for years, and is the first test tool I grab to help identify electrical wiring. It is a Non-contact tester that I use to easily Detect Voltage in Cables, Cords, Circuit Breakers, Lighting Fixtures, Switches, Outlets and Wires. Simply insert the end of the tester into an outlet, lamp socket, or hold the end of the tester against the wire you wish to test. Very handy and easy to use.
The Quickest Way to Check for Faulty Electrical Wiring!The Plug-In Outlet Tester
This is the first tool I grab to troubleshoot a problem with outlet circuit wiring. This popular tester is also used by most inspectors to test for power and check the polarity of circuit wiring.
It detects probable improper wiring conditions in standard 110-125 VAC outlets Provides 6 probable wiring conditions that are quick and easy to read for ultimate efficiency Lights indicate if wiring is correct and indicator light chart is included Tests standard 3-wire outlets UL Listed Light indicates if wiring is incorrect Very handy and easy to use.
Strip Off Wire Insulation without Nicking and Damaging the Electric Wire!The Wire Stripper and Wire Cutter
My absolute favorite wire stripping tool that I have had in my personal electrical tool pouch for years, and this is the tool I use to safely strip electrical wires.
This handy tool has multiple uses:
The wire gauges are shown on the side of the tool so you know which slot to use for stripping insulation.
The end of the tool can be used to grip and bend wire which is handy for attaching wire onto the screw terminals of switches and outlets..
The wire stripper will work on both solid and stranded wire. This tool is Very Handy and Easy to Use.
|More articles about Circuit, Electrical Repair, Troubleshooting and Home Electrical Wiring:|
|« Previous||Next »|
|Electrical Wiring for an Attached Garage||Diagrams for Wiring Switched Outlets|