Diagrams for Wiring Switched Outlets
How To Make the Wire Connections for Switched Outlets – Switched outlets are popular in the home and involve a wall switch and half of a outlet receptacle. This switched outlet wiring diagram shows two scenarios of wiring for a typical half hot outlet that can be used to control a table or floor lamp.
How To Wire Switched Outlets
Electrical Question: I’m replacing a simple light switch with a switch outlet combination.
- I want the outlet to come on along with the light, when the switch is turned on.
- How should I wire the switch outlet combination?
This electrical wiring question came from: Lyle, a Handyman from Wellsville, NY USA
See more about Electrical Wiring for New York
Thanks for your electrical wiring question Lyle.
How To Make the Wire Connections for Switched Outlets
Skill Level: Intermediate to Advanced.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools and Voltage Tester.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience and ability to work with tools.
Precaution: Identify the circuit, turn it OFF and Tag it with a Note before working with the wiring.
- Switched outlets are popular in the home and involve a wall switch and half of a outlet receptacle. This switched outlet wiring diagram shows two scenarios of wiring for a typical half hot outlet that can be used to control a table or floor lamp.
wiring a switch
Wiring a Light Switch – Diagram 1
- Electrical Wire for the Home
- Complete listing of electrical wire types and parts used for home projects with electrical code information serves as selection guidelines.
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
The Safest Way to Test Electrical Devices and Identify Electric Wiring!The Non-Contact Electrical Tester
This is a testing tool that I have had in my personal electrical tool pouch for years, and is the first test tool I grab to help identify electrical wiring. It is a Non-contact tester, [amazon.com], I use for the detection of Standard Voltage in Cables, Cords, Circuit Breakers, Lighting Fixtures, Switches, Outlets and Wires. Simply insert the end of the tester into an outlet, lamp socket, or hold the end of the tester against the wire you wish to test. Very handy and easy to use.
|« Locate and Repair an Electrical Circuit Problem||Knob and Tube Wiring and GFCI »|