How To Identify Causes of Electrical Circuit Failures
A Checklist to Help Identify Electrical Circuit Loss – Here are some things to check when an electrical circuit looses power.
A Checklist to Help Identify Electrical Circuit Loss
I have 2 circuits in my home that will go off; but breaker does not throw, as if a loss of power.
- Ive had 2 electricians and power company try to figure it out.
- Outlets were checked & 2 breakers were replaced, new meter was installed, post in box were all checked and tightened.
- I’m still having the problem. Everyone seems to be stumped!
Any suggestions or ideas as to problem would be so helpful.
This electrical wiring question came from: C Ann, a Homeowner from KY
Thanks for your electrical wiring question C Ann.
C Ann, Here are some things to check when an electrical circuit looses power to help identify the cause:
Checklist for Identifying Causes of Electrical Circuit Loss
- When the circuit is interrupted is there a loss of both the hot and the neutral.
- Do the circuits stop working at certain time of the day.
- Is there a pattern that can be identified with the loss of power.
- Is there other electrical equipment that is related to this pattern.
- When the circuit restores power does is this event have a pattern as well.
- Are there any automated controls in the home for items such as the water heater, hot tub or similar equipment.
- Has the circuit wiring been identified and are there any junction boxes, if so have they been inspected.
The Following will assist you with Electrical Circuits
Electric Circuit Listing
The size of the home electrical service panel is designed by calculating the square footage of the home and factoring in the code requirements for the electrical circuits that are required.
Electrical Wiring Protection using Circuit Breakers
A guide to home electrical circuit breakers and how they work to protect your electrical wiring. When properly installed, your home electrical wiring is protected by a circuit protection device.
For more information about Home Wiring
Basic Home Wiring Diagrams with Pictures
|« Electric Heaters and Circuit Safety||Adding a Light Fixture to 3 Way Switches »|
Browse other questions in the following categories:
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.