How To Identify Causes of Electrical Circuit Failures
I have two circuits in my home that will go off but the circuit breaker does not trip off as if a loss of power: Checklist to Help Identify the Cause of Electrical Circuit Loss.
Lost Power to Electrical Circuits
Electrical Question: I have two circuits in my home that will go off but the circuit breaker does not trip off as if a loss of power.
- I have had two electricians and power company try to figure it out.
- Outlets were checked and two breakers were replaced, a new meter was installed, the posts in the electrical box were all checked and tightened.
- I’m still having the problem. Everyone seems to be stumped!
Any suggestions or ideas as to problem would be so helpful.
This electrical wiring question came from: C Ann, a Homeowner from Kentucky.
Thanks for your electrical wiring question C Ann.
Application: Troubleshooting Electrical Circuits.
Skill Level: Intermediate to Advanced – best performed by a Licensed Electrician.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools and a Voltage Tester.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience, ability to work with tools.
Precaution: Identify the circuit, turn it OFF and Tag it with a Note before working with the wiring.
How to Identify the Cause of Electrical Circuit Loss
C Ann, Here are some things to check when an electrical circuit looses power to help identify the cause:
- When the circuit is interrupted is there a loss of both the hot and the neutral.
- Do the circuits stop working at certain time of the day.
- Is there a pattern that can be identified with the loss of power.
- Is there other electrical equipment that is related to this pattern.
- When the circuit restores power does is this event have a pattern as well.
- Are there any automated controls in the home for items such as the water heater, hot tub or similar equipment.
- Has the circuit wiring been identified and are there any junction boxes, if so have they been inspected.
More about Electrical Circuits
Electric Circuit Listing
The size of the home electrical service panel is designed by calculating the square footage of the home and factoring in the code requirements for the electrical circuits that are required.
Electrical Wiring Protection using Circuit Breakers
A guide to home electrical circuit breakers and how they work to protect your electrical wiring. When properly installed, your home electrical wiring is protected by a circuit protection device.
For more information about Home Wiring
Basic Home Wiring Diagrams with Pictures
The following may also be helpful for you:
Electrical Wiring Video #2
Home Electrical Wiring Videos about this Topic and More
Learn more with my Home Electrical Video Course:
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
|More articles about Electric Wiring, electrical circuit, Troubleshooting and Home Electrical Wiring:|
|« Previous||Next »|
|Home Electrical Power Problems and the Utility Company||How to Wire a Switch for a Light Fixture|