How to Wire a Switch for a Light Fixture
Wiring a Switch From an Existing Ceiling Box: For a project like this, a cable is installed from the ceiling box to the wall switch location as you have stated.
Wiring a Switch for a Light Fixture
Electrical Question: In an existing ceiling box there is power coming in for a light and power going out to another room.
- Can I run a new line from a switch to turn the light on and still have power to the other room.
This electrical wiring question came from: Bob, from Silver Lake , New York
See more about Local Electrical Wiring in New York
Thanks for your electrical wiring question Bob.
Wiring a Switch From an Existing Ceiling Box
Skill Level: Beginner to Intermediate.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools, a non-aluminum ladder and Voltage Tester.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience, ability to work with tools and access to the light fixture(s).
Precaution: Identify the light circuit, turn it OFF and Tag it with a Note before working with the wiring.
Notice: Installing additional fixture wiring should be done with a permit and be inspected.
For a project like this, a cable is installed from the ceiling box to the wall switch location as you have stated.
The Following will assist you with Wiring a Switch
Wiring a Light Switch – Diagram 1
- Fully Explained Light Switch Wiring Diagrams.
- Detailed Electrical Wiring Diagrams and Pictures assist your Home Electrical Projects.
Electrical Junction Boxes for Home Wiring
- Understanding electrical junction boxes and what they are used for. Home electrical wiring is the process of installing electrical wire to a location that will serve electrical devices or an appliance.
- One very important component is the box where the wire will be installed. The type and size of the home wiring electrical boxes will depend upon the circuit size, application and its location.
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
The Safest Way to Test Electrical Devices and Identify Electric Wiring!The Non-Contact Electrical Tester
This is a testing tool that I have had in my personal electrical tool pouch for years, and is the first test tool I grab to help identify electrical wiring. It is a Non-contact tester, [amazon.com], I use for the detection of Standard Voltage in Cables, Cords, Circuit Breakers, Lighting Fixtures, Switches, Outlets and Wires. Simply insert the end of the tester into an outlet, lamp socket, or hold the end of the tester against the wire you wish to test. Very handy and easy to use.
|« Split-Buss Electrical Panels||Light Fixtures and Three Way Switches »|