How to Wire a Switch for a Light Fixture
In an existing ceiling box there is power coming in for a light and power going out to another room. Wiring a Switch From an Existing Ceiling Box.
Wiring a Switch for a Light Fixture
Electrical Question: In an existing ceiling box there is power coming in for a light and power going out to another room.
- Can I run a new line from a switch to turn the light on and still have power to the other room.
This electrical wiring question came from: Bob, from Silver Lake , New York.
See more about Local Electrical Wiring in New York
Thanks for your electrical wiring question Bob.
Wiring a Switch From an Existing Ceiling Box
Skill Level: Beginner to Intermediate. This electrical wiring project is best performed by a Licensed Electrical Contractor.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools, a non-aluminum ladder and Voltage Tester.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience, ability to work with tools and access to the light fixture(s).
Precaution: Identify the light circuit, turn it OFF and Tag it with a Note before working with the wiring.
Notice: Installing additional fixture wiring should be done with a permit and be inspected.
Installing Electrical Wiring from a Switch for a Light Switch
- For a project like this, electrical wiring is typically installed from the ceiling box to the wall switch location as you have stated.
- The wiring would need to include a neutral wire to satisfy NEC code requirements.
More about Wiring a Switch
Wiring a Light Switch – Diagram 1
- Fully Explained Light Switch Wiring Diagrams.
- Detailed Electrical Wiring Diagrams and Pictures assist your Home Electrical Projects.
Electrical Junction Boxes for Home Wiring
- Understanding electrical junction boxes and what they are used for. Home electrical wiring is the process of installing electrical wire to a location that will serve electrical devices or an appliance.
- One very important component is the box where the wire will be installed. The type and size of the home wiring electrical boxes will depend upon the circuit size, application and its location.
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
|More articles about Electrical Wiring and Home Electrical Wiring:|
|« Previous||Next »|
|How To Identify Causes of Electrical Circuit Failures||Replacing an Older Light Fixture|