How I Repair a Bathroom Light Fixture that Shorted Out
How can I fix a light fixture that shorted out and will not come on? Guide for Repairing a Bathroom Light Fixture Problem.
Bathroom Light Fixture Electrical Repair
Electrical Question: How can I fix a light fixture that shorted out and will not come on?
One of the lights in my bathroom shorted out and smoked for a second and now none of the other lights in the bathroom will come on.
- There is a GFI breaker which has electricity and works but will not reset.
- There is electricity throughout the bathroom, so why do my bathroom lights not work ?
- This is only a problem with the bathroom
This electrical question came from Joyce who is a homeowner.
Thanks for your electrical question Joyce.
How to Repair a Bathroom Light Fixture
Application: Repair Light Fixture Wiring.
Skill Level: Beginner to Intermediate – Best performed by a Certified Electrician or Licensed Electrical Contractor.
Tools Required: Basic Hand Tools and Safe Ladder.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal experience, the light fixture and access to the light fixture.
Precaution: Identify the light fixture circuit, turn it OFF and Tag it with a Note before working with the wiring.
Notice: Replacement parts for the light fixture should be compatible with the type of lamps that have been installed.
Guide for Repairing a Bathroom Light Fixture Problem
- Bathroom light fixtures may experience an electrical failure or short within the electrical wiring.
- Most of the time the problem is caused by the wiring which becomes old and brittle due to constant exposure to the heat that radiates from the lamps and sockets. Over time this can eventually lead to a broken wire or a shorted wire.
- This is very common with ceiling type fixtures in older bathrooms that have two or more incandescent light bulbs which produce a lot of heat. In many cases the ceiling light fixture will either require that the burnt wiring and the socket be replaced or if the light fixture is badly damaged then the whole light fixture may need replacing.
- Sometimes the problem may be with an electrical splice that is inside the electrical junction box that the light fixture is mounted to in the wall or ceiling.
- With bathroom light fixture electrical failures the circuit should be identified and turned OFF and the burnt electrical wiring, splices and wire connectors will need to be carefully restored using the properly sized electrical wiring and splice connectors.
More about Bathroom Electrical Wiring
Bathroom Electrical Wiring Methods
Fully Explained Photos and Wiring Diagrams for Bathroom Electrical Wiring with Code Requirements for most new or remodel projects.
Wiring GFI Outlets
GFCI and GFI Wiring Diagrams
The features and benefits of GFCI outlets and receptacles will give you a clear understanding of the importance why these safety devices are required by code to help protect you and your family against accidental electrical shock hazards.
This list of articles will help you learn about the features and benefits provided by GFI and GFCI Receptacles and how they are wired.
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
The Safest Way to Test Electrical Devices and Identify Electric Wires!The Non-Contact Electrical Tester
This is a testing tool that I have had in my personal electrical tool pouch for years, and is the first test tool I grab to help identify electrical wiring. It is a Non-contact tester that I use to easily Detect Voltage in Cables, Cords, Circuit Breakers, Lighting Fixtures, Switches, Outlets and Wires. Simply insert the end of the tester into an outlet, lamp socket, or hold the end of the tester against the wire you wish to test. Very handy and easy to use.
The Quickest Way to Check for Faulty Electrical Wiring!The Plug-In Outlet Tester
This is the first tool I grab to troubleshoot a problem with outlet circuit wiring. This popular tester is also used by most inspectors to test for power and check the polarity of circuit wiring.
It detects probable improper wiring conditions in standard 110-125 VAC outlets Provides 6 probable wiring conditions that are quick and easy to read for ultimate efficiency Lights indicate if wiring is correct and indicator light chart is included Tests standard 3-wire outlets UL Listed Light indicates if wiring is incorrect Very handy and easy to use.
Strip Off Wire Insulation without Nicking and Damaging the Electric Wire!The Wire Stripper and Wire Cutter
My absolute favorite wire stripping tool that I have had in my personal electrical tool pouch for years, and this is the tool I use to safely strip electrical wires.
This handy tool has multiple uses:
The wire gauges are shown on the side of the tool so you know which slot to use for stripping insulation.
The end of the tool can be used to grip and bend wire which is handy for attaching wire onto the screw terminals of switches and outlets..
The wire stripper will work on both solid and stranded wire. This tool is Very Handy and Easy to Use.
|More articles about Electrical Repair, Electrical Wiring, Lights Stop Working and Home Electrical Wiring:|
|« Previous||Next »|
|How to Get Electrical Training||Electrical Problem: My Voltage Seems Normal but the Outlet Will Not Work|