» Get Your Copy: Home Wiring Guide
» Need Electrical Help? Ask Me a Question
Random Electrical Shocks
By Dave Rongey
Summary: Electrical Troubleshooting Question: I recently bought a home that was originally constructed in 1920. In 1990 the former owners had an additional room and deck added to the side of the house.
The Causes of Random Electrical Shock
Electrical Troubleshooting Question:
I recently bought a home that was originally constructed in 1920. In 1990 the former owners had an additional room and deck added to the side of the house.
Now since I moved in in September I have discovered that I am shocking my husband and pets rather frequently while in the room.
Now yesterday my friend brought her kids over and all three of them experienced random shocks while touching the metal swing on the deck. They were all wearing rubber soled shoes and the swing has rubber feet.
I am not sure what my problem here is but I'm concerned because one shock actually hurt one of the kids, not enough to injure her but enough to cause her to cry.
What is going on here? Do I need to get someone in here asap? Is this dangerous?
Name Kimberly B.
Hi Kimberly - Great Electrical Repair Question!
I would have this investigated by a licensed electrician. The electrician will be able to measure for voltage leaks and track down the source.
Be very careful - this is nothing to mess around with!
The Safest Way to Test Electrical Devices and Identify Electric Wiring!The Non-Contact Electrical Tester
This is a testing tool that I have had in my personal electrical tool pouch for years, and is the first test tool I grab to help identify electrical wiring. It is a Non-contact tester, [amazon.com], I use for the detection of Standard Voltage in Cables, Cords, Circuit Breakers, Lighting Fixtures, Switches, Outlets and Wires. Simply insert the end of the tester into an outlet, lamp socket, or hold the end of the tester against the wire you wish to test. Very handy and easy to use.
|Electrical Troubleshooting Questions and Answers|