Kitchen Outlets Not Working
Electrical Outlets Question:
Our kitchen has 4 outlets each 2nd outlet has stopped working. I've checked for power with a voltage tester.
© By: Dave Rongey
Why Some Kitchen Outlets are Not Working
Electrical Outlets Question:
Our kitchen has 4 outlets each 2nd outlet has stopped working.
I've checked for power with a voltage tester.
There is power in the wall leading to the outlet, yet no power on the actual wire. I believe that all 4 outlets are all connected to one circuit, so why would every 2nd outlet be dead?
I changed each outlet, yet there's no power indicated going to the wire, on each of the 3 wire's red, one or black.
Hi Neil - Great Electrical Repair Question!
Check GFCI Outlets
Have you checked to see if any GFI outlets or breakers are tripped? Electrical Codes require that kitchen outlets be protected by GFI receptacles or breakers.
Once you discover the source of the GFI's I would double check to make sure they are wired correctly, Hot in to Line, and Load for the outlets downstream.
As you described the wire colors you may have a 3-wire circuit where the neutral is shared with two circuits, red and black, or there may be another wiring method installed which could only be discovered with a voltage tester.
Also when something like this happens, ask yourself what has happened recently which may have caused this to happen?
Have all of these outlets worked fin in the past?
I realize these a simple questions, however many times very obvious things happen which may be overlooked that become a knee-slapping moment when you realize the cause.
A Complete Guide to Home Electrical Wiring
Be sure to get your copy of my BIG Book:
Perfect for Homeowners, Students and Electricians
Home Electrical Wiring - Room by Room
120 Volt Circuits
240 Volt Circuits
Wiring Methods for Installing Home Electrical Circuit Wiring
Electrical Codes for Home Electrical Wiring
....and much more.
Related Electrical Wiring Projects
More about Kitchen outlets not working
- Electric Stove Hot Plates Not HeatingWhy are my Defy Stove hot plates not heating up all the way? How to Repair or Replace DEFY Hot Plates.
- Wire a Range for 3-wire and 4-wire CordsI wired my 3 wire 40amp electric range and the electric burners turn on, but the control panel does not work. Wire and 4-Wire Cord Connections for an Electric Range or Freestanding Stove, Connecting the Ground Wire, and Installing a New Circuit for an Electric Range.
- Wiring a 4-Wire Range Cord to a 3-Wire Outlet VideoHow to Connect a 3 wire cord on a new stove and strap the neutral and ground on the stove terminals | Ground and Neutral Wiring for a 220 Volt Range.
- 220 240 Volt Air Compressor WiringHow to Wire a 220 Volt Air Compressor and Control Switch: Wiring a standard 240 volt motor for equipment such as an air compressor there are only two insulated wires for the 220/240 volts and one separate wire for the ground.
- Why Receptacle Outlets are Not Getting Full PowerWhy Do I Only Have 70 Volts on a 120 Volt Receptacle? How to Troubleshoot and Repair Outlet Problems, The Most Common Problem with Electric Outlets and How to Repair Them.
- Range Circuit Wiring and 3-Wire OutletsHow to Connect the Wires for a Electric Range Cord: Electric Range Installation with a typical 220 or 240 Volt electric power cord wiring system, You may find yourself with either a 3-wire or 4-wire electric range cord.
- How to Wire a Range Hood Exhaust FanInstalling Wiring for a Range Hood Exhaust Fan: Wiring from an Existing Power Source or Outlet, I am wiring a hood exhaust fan over the kitchen range cook top.
- Troubleshoot Electrical Outlet Wiring ProblemsHow can I find out why my outlets are not working? How to Identify Electrical Wiring Problems with Outlets and Wall Plugs, Checking Outlet Wiring, Troubleshooting an Outlet Circuit.