» Residential Electrical Wiring: Guide to Home Wiring
» Need Electrical Help? Ask the Electrician
Wiring a Switch for a Ceiling Fan
Don in Florida asks: How do I wire a Single Switch for a Ceiling Fan? Wiring a Single Switch for a Ceiling Fan.
Switch Wiring for a Ceiling Fan
[ad#block] Electrical Question: How do I wire a Single Switch for a Ceiling Fan?
- I have a single switch which controls a ceiling fan and a separate receptacle.
- I replaced the ceiling fan and am not able to reconfigure the switch wiring.
- There were three black wires which were tried together with a fourth then connected to the bottom slot on the switch.
- A red wire was attached to the top slot and the green ground wire was connected on the opposite side.
- When reassembling in this fashion, the ceiling fan will not shut off when the switch is turned on.
Any suggestions will be appreciated.
This electrical repair question came from: Don, a Homeowner from Boynton Beach, Florida.
Additional Comments: Very helpful.
Thanks for your electrical repair question Don.
How to Wire a Single Switch Wiring for a Ceiling Fan
Application: Ceiling Fan Electrical Wiring.
Skill Level: Intermediate to Advanced, Best performed by a Licensed Electrical Contractor.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools, a non-aluminum ladder and Voltage Tester.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience, ability to work with tools and access to the switched outlet wiring and the proposed location for the ceiling fan.
Precaution: Identify the switched outlet circuit, turn it OFF and Tag it with a Note before working with the wiring.
Notice: Installing additional electrical wiring for a ceiling fan should be done according to local and national electrical codes with a permit and be inspected.
Wiring a Switch for a Ceiling Fan
- Don, the ceiling fan is running all the time because it is not wired through the switch, so it sounds like you are switching the power to the receptacle only.
- The three black wires will need to be identified for their function.
- Typically you will discover the incoming power cable, the out going power cable and the switched leg cable going to the ceiling fan and receptacle.
- Identifying wiring is best performed by carefully using a voltage tester or a continuity meter.
More about Wiring a Switch for a Ceiling Fan
Step-by-step pictures – Easy wiring diagrams and installation guide – Light and fan switch variations.
- Ceiling Fan Wiring
- Ceiling Fan Wiring diagram #1
- Ceiling Fan Wiring diagram #2
- Ceiling Fan Installation #1
- Ceiling Fan Installation #2
- Light Switch Wiring
- How to Install Ceiling Fans
- Take the mystery out of ceiling fan wiring. Ceiling Fans are a great way to lower your energy bill and brighten up one of your favorite rooms.
Understanding Digital Volt Meters
- When working on home electrical wiring using voltage meter can play an important part in electrical safety. Electrical testers and voltage meters enable you to identify electrical circuits and help prevent the possibility of accidental electrical shock.
The following may also be helpful for you:
Electrical Wiring Video #2
Home Electrical Wiring Videos about this Topic and More
Dave's Companion Guide to Home Electrical Wiring:
|More articles about Ceiling Fans, Electrical Repair, Wall Switch and Home Electrical Wiring:|
|« Previous||Next »|
|Wiring for Ceiling Fan Remote Control Operation||How to Rewire a Problem GFCI Outlet Circuit|
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.