Upgrading Electrical Wiring for Home Buyer Safety
How to Upgrade the Home Electrical Wiring: Electrical Upgrades to Make Before Selling a Home, Electrical Codes and Wiring Upgrades.
Electrical Codes and Wiring Upgrades
Electrical Question: I want to change the wiring in my home, how should I do this?
- I am going through my electrical wiring and have found some outdated building codes to some of my outlets.
- I am a recent home buyer. I am going through my electrical wiring and have found some outdated building codes to some of my outlets. My friend is a retired electrician and he has been very helping in ensuring my wiring is as up to code as possible.
- I have found so many junction boxes throughout that to me it feels unsafe having so many outlets going to one breaker. I will be adding a line to reduce some of my concerns plugging in my electronics.
- My questions will be involving that line. I want to power my hallway light junction box, and then go through the light switch into a GFI for my bathroom vanity. Is this a good idea? Is my ideal setup even possible?
- How will I have to hook it up so I can still turn off my hallway light without interrupting power going to the GFI outlet? Will the GFI still work as it should if I turn the light switch on and off?
Thank you in advance for any insight you provide.
This electrical wiring question came from: Phillip, a Handyman from San Diego, California.
Thanks for your electrical wiring question Phillip.
Upgrading Home Electrical Wiring
Skill Level: Intermediate to Advanced – This electrical project is best performed by a Licensed Electrician or electrical contractor.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools and a Voltage Tester.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience, ability to work with tools and install electrical wiring.
Precaution: Identify the circuit power source at the panel, turn it OFF and Tag it with a Note before installing wiring or working or making connections.
Notice: Installing additional outlet wiring should be done through the local building authority, according to applicable local and national electrical codes, with a permit, and have required inspections.
How to Upgrade Home Electrical Wiring
Electrical Upgrades to Make When Selling a Home
- Upgrading your home electrical wiring is a wise decision.
- Dedicated Bathroom Outlet Circuit
- In this case it would be best to install a dedicated 20 amp circuit to the bathroom.
- This is a code requirement for bathrooms.
- The wiring to for the hallway lighting can be isolated at that point.
- I would advise rewarding under a local permit and have you work inspected.
- Hardwired Smoke Detectors
- Consider installing smoke detectors which will be a great safety feature for you and your home.
More about Electrical Codes and Wiring Upgrades
- Wiring Electrical Outlet for the Home
- Home electrical wiring includes 110 volt outlets and 220 volt outlets and receptacles which are common place in every home. See how wiring electrical outlets for the home are done.
- GFCI wiring
- Wiring Diagram GFI
- GFCI outlets and receptacles will give you a clear understanding of the importance why these safety devices are required by code to help protect you and your family against accidental electrical shock hazards.
- Electrical Wiring Protection using Circuit Breakers
- Electric circuit breakers and how they work to protect your electrical wiring.
- When properly installed, your home electrical wiring is protected by a circuit protection device.
- Electrical Junction Boxes for Home Wiring
- Home electrical wiring of a location that will serve electrical devices or an appliance.
- One very important component is the box where the wire will be installed.
- The type and size of the home wiring electrical boxes will depend upon the circuit size, application and its location.
Bathroom electrical wiring
Bathroom Electric Wiring Requirements
This wiring diagram and pictures explain the basic bathroom electrical code wiring requirements required for most new or remodel projects. Give your bathroom a face lift when you enhance the electrical devices that will bring out the best in you. Make your eyes sparkle with get a breath of fresh air when you install one of these smart upgrades.
Electrical Code Articles
Electrical Code Directory covering AFCI circuit, electrical-boxes, electrical-circuit, electrical-code-outlets, electrical GFCI, electrical-grounding, electrical-project, electrical-services, electrical-underground, electrical-wiring, electrical-wiring-code, lighting-code, smoke-detector,
For more information about Light Switch Wiring
Light Switch Wiring
Wiring a Light Switch – Diagram 1
Fully explained pictures and wiring diagrams about wiring light switches describing the most common switches starting with photo diagram 1.
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
|More articles about Code Upgrades, Electrical Wiring, Home Wiring and Home Electrical Wiring:|
|« Previous||Next »|
|Can I Wire my Dryer to my Range Outlet?||Rewiring a Basement for Additional Light Fixtures|