» Need Electrical Help? Ask the Electrician
Sump Pumps and Dedicated Circuit Outlets
Understanding Sump Pump Circuit Requirements – It is good to consider all the possibilities of failure that could occur and deal with them right away and put into place all the safe guards to make sure the project is done right the first time.
Should You Share the Sump Pump Circuit?
[ad#block]Can I plug a mini refrigerator into a GFCI outlet that has my Sump Pump?
- Or does the sump pump require a dedicated outlet?
This electrical question came from: Sean, a Homeowner in Pennsylvania.
Thanks for your electrical question Sean.
Sump Pump Circuit Requirements
- If the sump pump is responsible for preventing an area from flooding then it would be best to have a dedicated circuit for it, and I would not plug anything else into it.
- A similar example that we can compare this to would be a septic system. In my area of California, new installations of septic systems require two separate circuits, one for the septic pump and the other for the high level alarm circuit.
- The design here is to be able to have a high level alarm if the septic pump or the pump circuit should fail. There are exceptions where you may have only one dedicated circuit which provides power to a septic system controller provided the controller has two circuit breakers which provide separate branches of power for the septic pump and the high level alarm system.
- Considering both of these devices, the refrigerator and the sump pump, I think you would agree that it would be best if the refrigerator was plugged into a separate source of power.
Electrical Tip for Sump Pumps – Avoid a Possible Problem Beforehand
- It is good to consider all the possibilities of failure that could occur and deal with them right away and put into place all the safe guards to make sure the project is done right the first time and prevent problems later on.
- One such safeguard is to make sure that all sump pumps are protected by GFCI, either at the outlet or the circuit breaker that provides power to the sump pump.
The Following will assist you with your Sump Pump Electrical Wiring:
- Wiring Electrical Outlet for the Home
- Home electrical wiring includes 110 volt outlets and 220 volt outlets and receptacles which are common place in every home. See how wiring electrical outlets for the home are done.
- For more information about Electrical Safety
- Electrical Safety
- Home Electrical Safety
- A new approach to keep kids and electricity apart with hopes to prevent children from being injured by electricity.
The following may also be helpful for you:
Electrical Wiring Video #2
Home Electrical Wiring Videos about this Topic and More
Dave's Companion Guide to Home Electrical Wiring:
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
|More articles about Sump Pump Circuit and Home Electrical Wiring:|
|« Previous||Next »|
|Electric Stove Circuit Installation||Adding a Dimmer Switch for Existing Lights|