» Home » Electrical Wiring Projects
Electric Stove Circuit Installation
Electrical Panel Requirements for a New Stove Circuit – The complexity of installing the stove circuit will depend on the structure of the house and how accessible it will be to install the electrical cable.
Electrical Wiring for a New Stove
[ad#block] Electrical Question #1: The house I am moving into is set up for a propane stove and I was considering hooking up an electric stove instead.
- The landlord told me she thinks the breaker box is set up for the 220 needed for the stove.
- How do I determine if my electrical box can handle an electric stove? and if it can how hard would it be to hook up an electric stove?
This electrical wiring question came from: Cassie, a Tenant.
Electrical Question #2: What is the best breaker for a 220 volt stove?
- What is the best circuit breaker to use for 220 stove wiring?
This electrical question came from Etola in Lorain, Ohio.
Thank you for your electrical wiring questions.
Electrical Panel Requirements for a New Stove Circuit
- In some homes a natural gas or propane line and a 240 volt electrical outlet have been installed to accommodate both types of stoves. This is especially smart if the house is a rental. If the house does have the required circuit for an electric stove then you will see a 240 volt outlet in the opening where the stove will be located and you should see a double circuit breaker in the electric panel that is labeled as the electric stove circuit.
- If the house does not appear to have the required stove circuit then it would be best to have a stove circuit installed by a Qualified Electrical Contractor. The electrical contractor will examine the existing electrical service and determine if it has the capacity for a stove circuit. The complexity of installing the stove circuit will depend on the structure of the house and how accessible it will be to install the electrical cable. Generally if there is a basement or crawl space under the home this will allow the electrical contractor the necessary access.
The Following will assist you with your New Stove Circuit
The following may also be helpful for you:
Electrical Wiring Video #2
Home Electrical Wiring Videos about this Topic and More
Dave's Companion Guide to Home Electrical Wiring:
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
|More articles about Electrical Wiring and Home Electrical Wiring:|
|« Previous||Next »|
|Hot Tub Circuit Wiring Requirements||Sump Pumps and Dedicated Circuit Outlets|