No Power to my Electric Clothes Dryer
Electrical Troubleshooting Tips for a Clothes Dryer: Dryer Outlet that is Not Working, testing the right circuit breaker.
Dryer Outlet that is Not Working
Electrical Question: My clothes dryer is not working.
- I tested the dryer plug with my tester and I am not getting and power out the socket at all.
- I tested the breaker and I am reading 233 volts.
- The dryer is brand new so what could it be.
Thanks for your electrical question Aaron in Dallas, Texas.
Electrical Troubleshooting Tips for a Clothes Dryer
- Make sure you are testing the right circuit breaker at the panel.
- Positively identify the dryer circuit, shut it off then inspect the wiring at the dryer outlet.
- Make sure the connections are right and secure.
- After reinstalling the dryer outlet and cover turn the circuit breaker back on.
- Test the outlet. If you do not have 230 volts then there is something wrong with the circuit wiring.
- You can also test from each 120 volt leg to ground to see if partial power is present.
- See the Troubleshooting Electrical Wiring link below.
Dryer Cord Wiring
- See an electric dryer installation with a typical 220 Volt electric power cord wiring system.
- You may find yourself with either a 3-wire or 4-wire electric dryer, or a 3-wire or 4-wire outlet.
- Lets look a how the electric dryer is wired and what to do if your cord does not match the plug.
Troubleshooting and Repairing Electrical Wiring
- Licensed Electrician Reveals the Secrets of Successful Electrical Troubleshooting Methods used to solve the majority of the home electrical problems and wiring failures encountered.
Browse other questions about this topic:
Dryer Electrical Troubleshooting 220 volt, dryer circuit, dryer not working, electric dryer, electrical question, electrical troubleshooting, no power, Texas
Or Ask Dave a Question
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.