» Home » Electrical Wiring Projects
» Residential Electrical Wiring: Dave's Guide to Home Wiring
Electrical Wiring for a New Garage Light
How to Wire a Garage Light Fixture and Switch: Description of electrical wiring for a garage light fixture and switch.
Identifying and Wiring a Garage Light Fixture
[ad#block]Electrical Question: I replaced a single bulb light socket in my garage with a 48 inch fluorescent light fixture with 4-bulbs.
- The new fixture had 1 black wire, 1 white, 1 green.
- The wires coming out of the ceiling were 1 red, 2 black,2 white with a short red pigtail attached.
- The pigtail went to a post on old fixture and and red wire went to other post.
- I removed the short red pigtail and hooked black wires to black wire and white wires to white.
- I taped the end of red wire and put it up in ceiling.
- Now the light burns all the time and I can’t turn it off with the wall switch that operated it before.
This electrical question came from: Bill, a Homeowner from Wichita Falls,Texas.
Thanks for your electrical question Bill.
How to Wire a Garage Light Fixture and Switch
- Bill, the pigtail or original wiring that was used for the existing light fixture should not have been removed because it was correct.
- What you did was wire directly to the power source thereby bypassing the wiring to the light switch.
- Now the wiring leading to the wall switch must be identified then you must rewire the light fixture accordingly.
- I believe that if you connect the wiring for the new light fixture with the same configuration as the original light fixture then you will see that it works just fine.
Wiring a Light Switch – Diagram 1
- Switch Wiring Diagrams
Fully Explained Light Switch Wiring Diagrams. Detailed Electrical Wiring Diagrams and Pictures assist your Home Electrical Projects.
- Garage Electrical Wiring
- Fully Explained Photos and Wiring Diagrams for Garage Electrical Wiring with Code Requirements for most new or remodel projects.
The following may also be helpful for you:
Electrical Wiring Video #2
Home Electrical Wiring Videos about this Topic and More
Dave's Companion Guide to Home Electrical Wiring:
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
|More articles about Garage Lights, Lighting and Home Electrical Wiring:|
|« Previous||Next »|
|No Power to my Electric Clothes Dryer||Light Fixture Ground Wire Attachment|