Planning a Solar Power System
How should I set up a solar backup generator for my home? Planning Your Solar Power System, How to Size a Solar Power System, Components of a Solar Power System.
Setting up a Home Solar Power System
Electrical Question: How should I set up a solar backup generator for my home?
I am trying to set up a solar backup generator in my home that I can use if the power goes out, and maybe run a few things to help keep the electric utility costs down.
- I have read much on the internet and tried to come up with a great set-up with as little money as possible.
- I was hoping to find out from someone who knows much more than me if I am doing this correctly, or need to change something before I spend all this money.
- I have picked out a 200 watt panel that comes with a regulator so the batteries are not over charged.
- The next thing I may get is a battery box that is already set up with wires and fuses, like this one: a Xantrex PH1800-BBX Secondary Battery Box and will hold the two batteries I will buy, which are 100Ah AGM batteries, Exide RF-31D Roadforce AGM-200 Sealed Maintenance-Free AGM Heavy-Duty/Commercial Battery.
- Then I chose a converter which is a Ramsond SunRay 1500/3000 Watts W True Pure Sine Wave Power Inverter Generator, Remote Starter Ready, back up 12V DC to 115V 60Hz AC RV Truck Car Solar Off Grid ETL Listed to Conform to UL 458 STD.
- I do have quite a few electronics in the house and have read that it is best to use a pure sine wave inverter, so I chose one that is 1500w/3000w 12v-115v.
- I think this will do what I need. I am not sure if I need cables for the box to the inverter, and which ones to buy, I think these (as an example) Whistler IC-3000W 3000W Power Inverter Cables will probably do the job.
- So if this is correct, I am thinking around 1300 to power the house in case of emergency, all temporary power.
I would appreciate your time if you could tell me if I am missing anything here, or am wrong about anything.
Thank you very much!
This home electrical repairs question came from: Lynn, from Baltimore, Maryland.
Thanks for your electrical troubleshooting question Lynn.
Planning Your Solar Power System
Skill Level: Intermediate to Advanced. This electrical wiring project is best performed by a Licensed Electrical Contractor.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools, Power Tools, and Voltage Tester.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience, ability to alternative power systems and electrical circuit wiring.
Precaution: Be Careful with Off the Grid Power Sources and Alternative Energy Systems. Identify each power source, turn it OFF and Tag it with a Note before working with or installing the wiring.
Notice: Installing alternative power systems and circuit wiring should be done according to local and national electrical codes with a permit and be inspected.
How to Size a Solar Power System for a Home
- When solar power is to be used for backup power for the home it is essential to identify the loads that are to be powered by the system. This will indicate the size or needed output of the solar system.
- Many other components will need to be considered such as exposure to the sun, number of hours of exposure, charging time and more.
- I would highly advise you to contact a local supplier who may assist you with your project and describe any local and federal incentives which may help offset the cost of the solar project.
More about Home Solar Power
- Power Your Home with Solar Energy.
- You have many options for using renewable energy at home-from solar-powered outdoor lights to buying renewable energy from your utility to even producing solar electricity at home with photovoltaic (PV) cells.
- Solar Energy
Solar Energy Projects for Home Power
- Solar Powered Lighting Alternatives
Solar energy alternatives are becoming a very good idea, and with all the new choices of energy savings devices and applications you may want to consider how your home would benefit from them too.
- Inverter Basics for Power Generation
The function of an Electrical Inverter for Power Generation
- Grid Tied Inverters
The basics of a Grid Tied Inverter System and how they work including a basic inverter electrical wiring diagram.
Home Energy Savings
Methods that show how to start saving energy right away for very little investment compared to the savings you will realize.
Home Electric Generators
- This series covers a wide variety of topics all about home generators including sizing, selecting, connecting and safely operating this all important addition to your home.
Electrical Wire for the Home
Complete listing of electrical wire types and parts used for home projects with electrical code information serves as selection guidelines.
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
The Safest Way to Test Electrical Devices and Identify Electric Wires!The Non-Contact Electrical Tester
This is a testing tool that I have had in my personal electrical tool pouch for years, and is the first test tool I grab to help identify electrical wiring. It is a Non-contact tester that I use to easily Detect Voltage in Cables, Cords, Circuit Breakers, Lighting Fixtures, Switches, Outlets and Wires. Simply insert the end of the tester into an outlet, lamp socket, or hold the end of the tester against the wire you wish to test. Very handy and easy to use.
The Quickest Way to Check for Faulty Electrical Wiring!The Plug-In Outlet Tester
This is the first tool I grab to troubleshoot a problem with outlet circuit wiring. This popular tester is also used by most inspectors to test for power and check the polarity of circuit wiring.
It detects probable improper wiring conditions in standard 110-125 VAC outlets Provides 6 probable wiring conditions that are quick and easy to read for ultimate efficiency Lights indicate if wiring is correct and indicator light chart is included Tests standard 3-wire outlets UL Listed Light indicates if wiring is incorrect Very handy and easy to use.
Strip Off Wire Insulation without Nicking and Damaging the Electric Wire!The Wire Stripper and Wire Cutter
My absolute favorite wire stripping tool that I have had in my personal electrical tool pouch for years, and this is the tool I use to safely strip electrical wires.
This handy tool has multiple uses:
The wire gauges are shown on the side of the tool so you know which slot to use for stripping insulation.
The end of the tool can be used to grip and bend wire which is handy for attaching wire onto the screw terminals of switches and outlets..
The wire stripper will work on both solid and stranded wire. This tool is Very Handy and Easy to Use.
|More articles about Alternative Energy, Solar Power and Home Electrical Wiring:|
|« Previous||Next »|
|How to Wire More Than One Switch||No Power to my Electric Clothes Dryer|