» Need Electrical Help? Ask the Electrician
I Lost Power to My House How Do I Fix It?
Why did I Lose Power to Part of my House? How to Turn the Power Back on to Your House.
Lost Power to Home
[ad#block]Electrical Question: Why did I Lose Power to Part of my House?
Stephanie in Pennsylvania asks:
- I was plugging my sons night light in the outlet and it blew and made the lights go out.
- Now my electric stove and electric heater in my kitchen will not turn on. all other appliances are working in my kitchen. please help me!
Application: Reset a Tripped Circuit Breaker.
Skill Level: Beginner to Intermediate – Best performed by a Licensed Electrical Contractor or Certified Electrician.
How to Reset a Tripped Circuit Breaker
- Stephanie, From what you have described, first, make sure to replace the nite light with a new one if it is damaged or faulty.
- How to Restore the Power Back to Normal:
It is very possible that the nite light problem has caused one or more circuit breakers to trip off, and possibly the Main circuit breaker may have partially tripped off which is located in the electrical circuit breaker panel for the home.
- A tripped circuit breaker may look like it is in the ON position even though it has tripped.
- Typically, when turning the Main breaker all the way off, and then back it into the On position will cause it to reset.
- In some cases, if a circuit breaker has tripped off it may make a click noise while moving it into the Off position, and then moving it back into the On position should restore the power back to normal.
See More about Electrical Wiring and Circuit Breakers
Electrical Circuit Wiring
- This article looks at common 120 volt and 240 volt house wiring circuits and the circuit breakers that are installed identifying the types and amperage sizes used in most homes.
Home Electrical Circuit Breakers
- A guide to home electrical circuit breakers and how they work to protect your electrical wiring.
- When properly installed, your home electrical wiring is protected by a circuit protection device.
The following may also be helpful for you:
Electrical Wiring Video #2
Home Electrical Wiring Videos about this Topic and More
Dave's Companion Guide to Home Electrical Wiring:
|More articles about Electrical and Home Electrical Wiring:|
|« Previous||Next »|
|You Replaced A Light Switch – Now Things Do Not Work Right||Wiring 3 Way Switches and Dimmer Switches|
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.