How to Replace a 4Way Light Switch
How to Wire a 4Way Light Switch? Wiring Diagrams for a 4way switch.
Wiring a 4Way Switch
Electrical Question: How do I wire a new 4way switch?
- My 4 way switch contact went out on one side.
- The old 4 way switch shows two top left and right terminal as (Line1) and the two bottom left and right as Line2.
- Evidently,the new switch one side two terminal top and bottom shows as IN and on the right side top and bottom terminal as OUT, I need your feed-back as to how can replace the new 4way switch?
This electrical question came from: Sayed, from Brentwood, California.
Thanks for your electrical question Sayed.
How to Wire a 4Way Switch
Application: Wiring a 4Way Light Switch.
Skill Level: Intermediate to Advanced – Best installed by a Licensed Electrician.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools and Power Tools for installing electrical wiring, and Voltage Tester.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience and ability to work with hand and power tools.
Precaution: Identify the lighting circuit, turn it OFF and Tag it with a Note before working with the wiring.
Notice: Installing additional 3-way or 4-way switch wiring should be done according to local and national electrical codes with a permit and be inspected.
Wiring Connections for 4Way Switches
- 4-Way Switches provide convenient switching from three or more locations.
- When more than three switches are needed you may simply place more 4-way switches between the three way switches.
- Most 4-way switch wiring is placed between the wiring of two 3-way switches.
- Fully explained 4 way switch diagrams. 4-way switches are a convenient way to operate lighting fixtures from three or more locations.
- The electrical wiring adds additional wiring to the same principles of 3-way switching.
Note: Two 3way switches are typically wired with one or more 4way light switches, therefore the following resources may assist you:
3 Way Switch Wiring Diagrams
- 3 Way Switch Wiring Diagrams Fully Explained.
- Detailed Electrical Wiring Diagrams and Pictures assist your Home Electrical Projects.
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
|More articles about Electrical Wiring and Home Electrical Wiring:|
|« Previous||Next »|
|Before Installing a Window Air Conditioner Unit||Electrical Question about Outdoor Dusk to Dawn Light Fixtures|