How to Replace a 4Way Light Switch
How to Wire a 4Way Light Switch? Wiring Diagrams for a 4way switch.
Wiring a 4Way Switch
Electrical Question: How do I wire a new 4way switch?
- My 4 way switch contact went out on one side.
- The old 4 way switch shows two top left and right terminal as (Line1) and the two bottom left and right as Line2.
- Evidently,the new switch one side two terminal top and bottom shows as IN and on the right side top and bottom terminal as OUT, I need your feed-back as to how can replace the new 4way switch?
This electrical question came from: Sayed, from Brentwood, California.
Thanks for your electrical question Sayed.
How to Wire a 4Way Switch
Application: Wiring a 4Way Light Switch.
Skill Level: Intermediate to Advanced – Best installed by a Licensed Electrician.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools and Power Tools for installing electrical wiring, and Voltage Tester.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience and ability to work with hand and power tools.
Precaution: Identify the lighting circuit, turn it OFF and Tag it with a Note before working with the wiring.
Notice: Installing additional 3-way or 4-way switch wiring should be done according to local and national electrical codes with a permit and be inspected.
Wiring Connections for 4Way Switches
- 4-Way Switches provide convenient switching from three or more locations.
- When more than three switches are needed you may simply place more 4-way switches between the three way switches.
- Most 4-way switch wiring is placed between the wiring of two 3-way switches.
- Fully explained 4 way switch diagrams. 4-way switches are a convenient way to operate lighting fixtures from three or more locations.
- The electrical wiring adds additional wiring to the same principles of 3-way switching.
Note: Two 3way switches are typically wired with one or more 4way light switches, therefore the following resources may assist you:
3 Way Switch Wiring Diagrams
- 3 Way Switch Wiring Diagrams Fully Explained.
- Detailed Electrical Wiring Diagrams and Pictures assist your Home Electrical Projects.
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
The Safest Way to Test Electrical Devices and Identify Electric Wires!The Non-Contact Electrical Tester
This is a testing tool that I have had in my personal electrical tool pouch for years, and is the first test tool I grab to help identify electrical wiring. It is a Non-contact tester that I use to easily Detect Voltage in Cables, Cords, Circuit Breakers, Lighting Fixtures, Switches, Outlets and Wires. Simply insert the end of the tester into an outlet, lamp socket, or hold the end of the tester against the wire you wish to test. Very handy and easy to use.
The Quickest Way to Check for Faulty Electrical Wiring!The Plug-In Outlet Tester
This is the first tool I grab to troubleshoot a problem with outlet circuit wiring. This popular tester is also used by most inspectors to test for power and check the polarity of circuit wiring.
It detects probable improper wiring conditions in standard 110-125 VAC outlets Provides 6 probable wiring conditions that are quick and easy to read for ultimate efficiency Lights indicate if wiring is correct and indicator light chart is included Tests standard 3-wire outlets UL Listed Light indicates if wiring is incorrect Very handy and easy to use.
Strip Off Wire Insulation without Nicking and Damaging the Electric Wire!The Wire Stripper and Wire Cutter
My absolute favorite wire stripping tool that I have had in my personal electrical tool pouch for years, and this is the tool I use to safely strip electrical wires.
This handy tool has multiple uses:
The wire gauges are shown on the side of the tool so you know which slot to use for stripping insulation.
The end of the tool can be used to grip and bend wire which is handy for attaching wire onto the screw terminals of switches and outlets..
The wire stripper will work on both solid and stranded wire. This tool is Very Handy and Easy to Use.
|More articles about Electrical Wiring and Home Electrical Wiring:|
|« Previous||Next »|
|Before Installing a Window Air Conditioner Unit||Electrical Question about Outdoor Dusk to Dawn Light Fixtures|