How to Repair a Defy 521 Electric Stove
My Defy 521 Stove control has stopped working, what should I check? The Most Common Problems with a Defy Electric Stove Control and How to Repair Them.
Defy 521 Stove Repair
Electrical Question: My Defy 521 Stove control has stopped working, what should I check?
- Defy 521 Stove Problem
- When I switch the Defy on the power light on the stove power supply 50amp switch goes off. When I switch stove off the light goes back ON again.
- If I turn any of the stove switches just a fraction and hold it there the stove plate light shines and the power supply switch burns brighter.
- The circuit breaker on the DB distribution box remains on all the time does not trip.
- What do you think is wrong?
Adam of Durban, South Africa asks How to Repair a Defy Stove.
This electrical wiring question came from: Adam located in Durban, South Africa.
Thanks for your electrical wiring question Adam.
Troubleshooting a Defy 521 Stove Control Problem
Application: Replacing the Control Switch for a Defy 521 Electric Stove.
Skill Level: Intermediate to Advanced – Best performed by a qualified trained appliance technician or factory representative.
Consult the Manufacturer or Authorized Representative: Repairs and modifications may result in a voided warranty.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools and Voltage Tester.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience, ability to work with tools and connect the 240 volt control and wiring.
Precaution: Identify the Defy Stove circuit at the DB Distribution Box electric panel, turn it OFF and Tag it with a Note before working with the wiring.
Notice: Wiring a 220 volt electric stove and making the electrical connections should be done according to local and national electrical codes and using approved materials.
Defy Stove Control Switch Problems
Problems with a Defy Electric Stove Control and How to Repair Them
The following is an example of How to Troubleshoot and Repair a Defy Stove Problem.
IMPORTANT: Make sure the circuit power has been turned off before performing any inspections or servicing.
- Defy Control is Not Working
- When the control is turned into the ON position the power light does not go on.
- The stove plates or burners are not working or not heating normally.
- Common Problems with a Defy Stove Control
- Wires attached to the control may become loose and cause the connection terminals to become burnt.
- Look for discolored or burnt wire connections to the control.
- Contacts inside the control may become worn out preventing the flow of circuit power.
- Repairing Burnt Wires of a Defy Stove
- Remove the burnt portion of damaged wiring.
- Obtain the compatible terminal connector(s) and attach to the affected wires.
- Replace the wires to the original locations of the stove control.
- Note: If the wiring has been cut too short, then additional lengths of the same type wire will be required.
- Replacing a Defy Stove Control
- If the stove control has become damaged by burnt external wiring connections, or the internal contacts are worn out, then a new specific replacement stove control may be required.
- IMPORTANT: Take notes of the original wiring attachments and configurations before removing the original wires.
- Remove the existing control and replace it with a new specific control that is compatible with the defy stove.
SUMMARY: When carefully diagnosed and repaired the Defy 521 stove will continue to provide reliable service for you and your family.
More about Electrical Wiring for a Stove
New Range Electrical Outlet
Electrician Explains the Circuit Requirements for a New Electric Range Outlet
Wiring a Range Power Cord
How to Wire a Kitchen Range Power Cord for 3-Wire and 4-Wire Cords with Step-By-Step Pictures and Easy Wiring Diagrams.
Electrical Troubleshooting: Troubleshooting stove turns on lights
Electrician Explains Troubleshooting stove turns on lights.
Wiring a Kitchen Range Power Cord
Fully Described Electric Range Installation with a typical 220 Volt electric power cord wiring system. You may find yourself with either a 3-wire or 4-wire electric range. Lets look at how the electric range is wired and what to do if your cord does not match the plug.
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
The Safest Way to Test Electrical Devices and Identify Electric Wiring!The Non-Contact Electrical Tester
This is a testing tool that I have had in my personal electrical tool pouch for years, and is the first test tool I grab to help identify electrical wiring. It is a Non-contact tester, [amazon.com], I use for the detection of Standard Voltage in Cables, Cords, Circuit Breakers, Lighting Fixtures, Switches, Outlets and Wires. Simply insert the end of the tester into an outlet, lamp socket, or hold the end of the tester against the wire you wish to test. Very handy and easy to use.
|« Electrical Troubleshooting Lights that Flicker or Dim||What Is The Easiest Way To Install An Electrical Panel? »|