Electrical Wiring for a Ceiling Fan
How to Remove and Install a Ceiling Fan and Switch: Wiring a Ceiling Fan and Wall Switch.
Wiring a Ceiling Fan and Switch
Electrical Question: How do I hook the wires back up to my electrical outlet and the dimmer switch for the ceiling fan?
This electrical question came from Danny, a Handyman from Denver, Colorado.
Thanks for your electrical question Danny.
How to Remove and Reinstall a Ceiling Fan Outlet or Switch
Application: Ceiling Fan Electrical Wiring.
Skill Level: Intermediate to Advanced, Best performed by a Licensed Electrical Contractor.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools, a non-aluminum ladder and Voltage Tester.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience, ability to work with tools and access to the switched outlet wiring and the proposed location for the ceiling fan.
Precaution: Identify the switched outlet circuit, turn it OFF and Tag it with a Note before working with the wiring.
Notice: Installing additional electrical wiring for a ceiling fan should be done according to local and national electrical codes with a permit and be inspected.
Wiring a Ceiling Fan and Wall Switch
When Removing and Reinstalling a Ceiling Fan be sure to:
- Identify and Turn Off the electrical Circuit.
- Mark the circuit to let inform others.
- Observe and write down the wiring connections.
- Identify the colors of wires with permanent markers or electrical tape.
- When painting or doing other work, do not leave bare wires, always place wire connectors over the ends of the wires.
- Reinstall the electrical switches, outlets, light fixtures or ceiling fans securely as they were originally found.
- Be careful not to pinch any wires and make good wiring connections.
- Consult the owners manual or installation manual for specific devices for detailed information.
More about Wiring a Ceiling Fan
How to Install Ceiling Fans and Wiring
Take the mystery out of ceiling fan wiring. Ceiling Fans are a great way to lower your energy bill and brighten up one of your favorite rooms.
Wiring a Light Switch – Diagram 1
Fully explained pictures and wiring diagrams about wiring light switches describing the most common switches starting with photo diagram 1.
|« Electrical Power Design for a Garage Workshop||Electrical Troubleshooting Lights that Flicker or Dim »|
Browse other questions in the following categories:
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.