How to Install an Outdoor Ceiling Fan
Electrical Wiring Method for a Outdoor Ceiling Fan: I am installing an outdoor ceiling fan that is UL rated for wet location on an open patio cover.
Wiring an Outdoor Ceiling Fan
[ad#block]Electrical Question: I am installing an outdoor ceiling fan that is UL rated for wet location on an open patio cover made of 2×4’s.
- I want to run power overhead from a GFI circuit in the adjacent garage.
- The control switch will be inside the garage. I bought an outdoor electrical box which I will screw to a spot where two 2×4’s cross to mount the fan.
- What is the best way to run power from the garage to the box?
- Can I use bare outdoor 14-2 wire or should I run the wire in flexible conduit or hard PVC conduit?
This electrical question came from: Rob, a Handyman from Houston, Texas.
Thanks for your electrical wiring question Rob.
Installing a Outdoor Ceiling Fan
Application: Installing an Outdoor Ceiling Fan.
Skill Level: Beginner to Intermediate – Best if wired by a Licensed Electrical Contractor.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools, a non-aluminum ladder and Voltage Tester.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience, ability to work with tools and access to the ceiling fan.
Precaution: Identify the ceiling fan circuit, turn it OFF and Tag it with a Note before working with the wiring.
Electrical Wiring Method for a Outdoor Ceiling Fan
- When installing an outdoor ceiling fan the electrical wiring and the components must be rated for outdoor use and wet locations just as the outdoor ceiling fan rating.
- Type NM wiring may not be used for this application.
- Electrical conduits such as EMT or PVC with water proof fittings is a good choice.
- The junction box must be also rated for wet locations and must be rated to support the weight of the ceiling fan that will be installed.
More about Wiring Ceiling Fans
Wiring Ceiling Fans
- Take the mystery out of ceiling fan wiring. Ceiling Fans are a great way to lower your energy bill and brighten up one of your favorite rooms.
How to Install Ceiling Fans and Wiring
- Step-by-step pictures – Easy wiring diagrams and installation guide – Light and fan switch variations.
- Ceiling Fan Wiring Diagram #1
Ceiling Fan Installation #1
Home Electrical Junction Boxes
Electrical Junction Boxes for Home Wiring
- Understanding electrical junction boxes and what they are used for. Home electrical wiring is the process of installing electrical wire to a location that will serve electrical devices or an appliance.
- One very important component is the box where the wire will be installed. The type and size of the home wiring electrical boxes will depend upon the circuit size, application and its location.
- GFCI Wiring
- This list of articles will help you learn about the features and benefits provided by GFI and GFCI Receptacles and how they are wired.
The following may also be helpful for you:
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
The Safest Way to Test Electrical Devices and Identify Electric Wires!The Non-Contact Electrical Tester
This is a testing tool that I have had in my personal electrical tool pouch for years, and is the first test tool I grab to help identify electrical wiring. It is a Non-contact tester that I use to easily Detect Voltage in Cables, Cords, Circuit Breakers, Lighting Fixtures, Switches, Outlets and Wires. Simply insert the end of the tester into an outlet, lamp socket, or hold the end of the tester against the wire you wish to test. Very handy and easy to use.
The Quickest Way to Check for Faulty Electrical Wiring!The Plug-In Outlet Tester
This is the first tool I grab to troubleshoot a problem with outlet circuit wiring. This popular tester is also used by most inspectors to test for power and check the polarity of circuit wiring.
It detects probable improper wiring conditions in standard 110-125 VAC outlets Provides 6 probable wiring conditions that are quick and easy to read for ultimate efficiency Lights indicate if wiring is correct and indicator light chart is included Tests standard 3-wire outlets UL Listed Light indicates if wiring is incorrect Very handy and easy to use.
Strip Off Wire Insulation without Nicking and Damaging the Electric Wire!The Wire Stripper and Wire Cutter
My absolute favorite wire stripping tool that I have had in my personal electrical tool pouch for years, and this is the tool I use to safely strip electrical wires.
This handy tool has multiple uses:
The wire gauges are shown on the side of the tool so you know which slot to use for stripping insulation.
The end of the tool can be used to grip and bend wire which is handy for attaching wire onto the screw terminals of switches and outlets..
The wire stripper will work on both solid and stranded wire. This tool is Very Handy and Easy to Use.
|More articles about Electrical and Home Electrical Wiring:|
|« Previous||Next »|
|Light Switch Wiring For A Garage||Understanding Electrical Testers and Readings|
I have a stationary awning over my deck. I want to install an outdoor ceiling fan with lighting. What can I use to install it to the poles?
An outdoor ceiling fan should be mounted to a well supported permanent structure that will allow mounting an approved ceiling fan electrical box as well as the electrical conduit which supplies the power. The specific stationary awning that you have would need to be evaluated to see if it will provide the required support for an outdoor ceiling fan and if so what types of brackets or mounting hardware is available for the installation process.
I want to install a outdoor ceiling fan on our porch , but I have to use a cord to attach to fan and run it down the wall to power outlet , my question is what kind of cord do I use.
Unlike a table light that is attached to a cord and can be moved, a ceiling fan is mounted as a permanent device. Therefore it should be wired permanently using approved methods. If the project location does not allow concealed wiring to be installed then you may consider using NEC Code Compliant and UL Approved surface wiring devices such as Wiremold. Products such as this can be used to extend electrical power from an existing source to a wall switch and up to the ceiling fan location. Surface mounted electrical boxes of this type are available specifically for ceiling fan installations. This type of outdoor ceiling fan installation when done properly will be safe and attractive.