How To Fix Outdoor Light Problems
How do I fix an outdoor light that is not working right? How to Repair Outdoor Light Problems, Typical Light Fixture Problems to Look for.
Outdoor Light Fixtures
Electrical Question: How do I fix an outdoor light that is not working right?
- I have an outdoor light that is not working right.
- First I wired a single pole switch to the light box and this is correct because I verified the wiring using another light fixture and it works just fine.
- I replaced the light with new fixture and it will not work.
- I know that the new light fixture works hard wired to an outlet, so the fixture works.
- As you can tell, I am frustrated and would appreciate some assistance.
Any help would be great!
Additional Comments: I love what I see here, I have been looking for an hour for advise, this is where I stopped.
Dave’s Reply: Thanks for your electric wiring question Mike.
Background: Mike, a Handyman from Princeton, Minnesota.
Repair Outdoor Light Fixture Problems
Application: Troubleshooting a Problem with an Outside Light Fixture Circuit.
Skill Level: Intermediate to Advanced – Best performed by a Licensed Electrician.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools and Voltage Tester.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience, ability to work with hand tools and electrical troubleshooting skills.
Precaution: Identify the lighting circuit, turn it OFF and then Tag it with a Note before performing any wiring or inspections.
The Most Common Problems with Outdoor Light Fixtures and How to Fix Them
- Typical Light Fixture Problems to Look For:
- Physically inspect the light fixture for damage and replace the light fixture if necessary.
- Double check all the wiring connections and make sure wiring splices are made correctly using the right connector.
- Make sure the light bulb(s) are good and the correct for the specific light fixture.
- Check the controlling switch to make sure it is good, replace if necessary.
- Locate the circuit breaker which provides power to the light switch and make sure it is not tripped.
- If the circuit is tripped locate the problem within the circuit wiring.
- Make the Correction: Repair the damaged wire and clear the fault.
- Reset the circuit breaker.
- Test the light fixture.
- Light Bulbs
- Sometimes the wire filament inside the light bulb may be broken but when it is in certain positions it will make contact and light up, therefore a new bulb may be required.
- Make sure the light bulb is the right size and type. For example: most CFL lamps do not work well in outdoor lights, however incandescent or halogen lamps generally work best. Be sure to check the light fixture specifications for specific lamp replacement information.
- Electrical Wiring for Light Fixtures
- I have provided the following links that lead to fully detailed information that will assist you with your electrical wiring project
- Security Lights and Motion Detector Wiring
Installing Motion Detector and Security Light Fixtures
- Installing motion detector lighting fixtures provide security and energy savings and they can easily replace an existing exterior wall fixture.
More about Wiring Outdoor Light Fixtures
Wiring a Light Switch – Diagram 1
- Fully explained pictures and wiring diagrams
- Wiring light switches describing the most common switches starting with photo diagram 1
- Home Outdoor Lighting
- There are many types and styles of outdoor lighting. Consider these different types of light fixtures when planning your outdoor home lighting project.
More about Types Of Outdoor Garden Lighting
The following may also be helpful for you:
Learn more about Home Electrical Wiring
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
The Safest Way to Test Electrical Devices and Identify Electric Wires!The Non-Contact Electrical Tester
This is a testing tool that I have had in my personal electrical tool pouch for years, and is the first test tool I grab to help identify electrical wiring. It is a Non-contact tester that I use to easily Detect Voltage in Cables, Cords, Circuit Breakers, Lighting Fixtures, Switches, Outlets and Wires. Simply insert the end of the tester into an outlet, lamp socket, or hold the end of the tester against the wire you wish to test. Very handy and easy to use.
The Quickest Way to Check for Faulty Electrical Wiring!The Plug-In Outlet Tester
This is the first tool I grab to troubleshoot a problem with outlet circuit wiring. This popular tester is also used by most inspectors to test for power and check the polarity of circuit wiring.
It detects probable improper wiring conditions in standard 110-125 VAC outlets Provides 6 probable wiring conditions that are quick and easy to read for ultimate efficiency Lights indicate if wiring is correct and indicator light chart is included Tests standard 3-wire outlets UL Listed Light indicates if wiring is incorrect Very handy and easy to use.
Strip Off Wire Insulation without Nicking and Damaging the Electric Wire!The Wire Stripper and Wire Cutter
My absolute favorite wire stripping tool that I have had in my personal electrical tool pouch for years, and this is the tool I use to safely strip electrical wires.
This handy tool has multiple uses:
The wire gauges are shown on the side of the tool so you know which slot to use for stripping insulation.
The end of the tool can be used to grip and bend wire which is handy for attaching wire onto the screw terminals of switches and outlets..
The wire stripper will work on both solid and stranded wire. This tool is Very Handy and Easy to Use.
|More articles about Lighting, Outdoor Lighting and Home Electrical Wiring:|
|« Previous||Next »|
|Boy Gets a Big Surprise From a Tesla Roadster||Replace a Switch with a Switch and Outlet|