Replace a Switch with a Switch and Outlet
How to Replace a Switch with a Combo Switch and Outlet: I want to replace it with a switch and outlet combo unit, but I am unsure about the wiring.
Combo Switch Outlet and How to Wire Them
Electrical Question: I want to replace it with a switch and outlet combo unit, but I am unsure about the wiring.
- I have a light switch in my kitchen that controls a ceiling fan and its light fixture.
- Is it possible to install a switch and outlet, and how would I do it?
I thank you for your help,
This electrical question came from: Norman, a Homeowner from Miami, Florida.
Thanks for your Electrical Wiring Question Norman.
How to Replace a Switch with a Combo Switch and Outlet
Application: Wiring a Combo Switch Outlet.
Skill Level: Beginner to Intermediate – Best if wired by a Licensed Electrical Contractor.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools and a Voltage Tester.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience, ability to work with tools and electrical wiring.
Precaution: Identify the power source at the panel, turn it OFF and Tag it with a Note before working with the wiring.
Notice: Installing additional outlet wiring should be done according to local and national electrical codes with a permit and be inspected.
Materials: Make sure to use materials of the same amperage and voltage rating as the electrical circuit.
Required Wiring to Replace a Switch with a Switch Outlet
- Replacing a light switch with a combination switch and outlet can only be possible if there is a neutral wire in the switch box.
- The neutral wire is necessary for the 120 volt outlet to work.
- In a switch box a “white wire” may not actually be a “neutral wire” especially if the white wire is connected to a switch.
- When neutral wires are found in a switch box they are spliced together and not attached to the switch.
- Verification of a neutral wire is best accomplished by using a voltage tester and understanding of how to use the tester and interpret the readings based upon the application to avoid confusion.
- Because the outlet will be in the kitchen, the outlet should be a GFCI Outlet, and there are GFCI switch and outlet combination devices available for applications such as this.
More about Wiring a Light Switch
Wiring a Light Switch
Wiring a Light Switch – Diagram 1
Fully explained pictures and wiring diagrams about wiring light switches describing the most common switches starting with photo diagram 1
Electrical outlet wiring
Wiring Electrical Outlet for the Home
Home electrical wiring includes 110 volt outlets and 220 volt outlets and receptacles which are common place in every home. See how wiring electrical outlets for the home are done.
How to Install Kitchen Electrical Wiring
Kitchen Electrical Wiring
Fully Explained Photos and Wiring Diagrams for Kitchen Electrical Wiring with Code Requirements for most new or remodel projects.
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
|More articles about Electrical Wiring and Home Electrical Wiring:|
|« Previous||Next »|
|How To Fix Outdoor Light Problems||Outdoor Lighting and GFCI Protection|