Home Electrical Wiring Repairs – Should You Fix It?
How to Work with Home Electrical Wiring Problems: To solve home electrical wiring problems attention must be directed at the symptom, in this case the tripping GFCI where the wiring should be checked.
Home Electrical Wiring Problems
Electrical Questions I have two separate circuits. With either one on, all the receptacles in the circuit that is on have power and will power a lamp.
- With both circuits on, I have power on all receptacles, but if I plug a lamp in on one circuit, it trips a ground fault on the other circuit.
- It doesn’t trip any circuit breakers, just the ground fault.
- What can I do, besides hiring an expensive electrician?
Additional Comments: Thank You for helping, your website is easy to access and read.
Background: Brandon, a Homeowner from Hickory, North Carolina.
Thanks for your electrical question Brandon.
How to Work with Home Electrical Wiring Problems
- There is a lot of information that has not been provided about this wiring problem, such as is this existing wiring or something that has just been added?
- To solve home electrical wiring problems attention must be directed at the symptom, in this case the tripping GFCI where the wiring should be checked.
- I would also suggest that one of these circuits be turned off so the other can be tested.
- If problems only occur when both circuits are on then there is a problem with the wiring of these circuits.
- Most likely something very simple to find once the details are understood about both circuits.
About Expensive Electricians
- A Professional Licensed Electrical Contractor is worth every dollar they earn, not because of their title but because of their knowledge and ability to provide a vital service.
- The same goes for any other professional. Many times a person who does not fully understand what they are doing will end up hiring a professional to do the job right, and make it safe.
- Homes are destroyed all too often due to careless people who take on tasks they are not qualified to do.
- If you do not fully understand what you are doing, then don’t do it at all because electricity is nothing to mess around with.
About Home Electrical Repairs
If you are in doubt, hire a professional to do it right. My Motto is: Do It Right The First Time – You’ll Sleep Better At Night (because the smoke detector will not be in alarm).
This list of articles will help you learn about the features and benefits provided by GFI and GFCI Receptacles and how they are wired.
More about Home Electrical Wiring:
Learn about Circuit Wiring
This is helpful as a Homeowner
Make sure not to miss these Resources for: Wiring Diagrams
Home Electrical Wiring
Basic Home Wiring Diagrams with Pictures
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
The Safest Way to Test Electrical Devices and Identify Electric Wires!The Non-Contact Electrical Tester
This is a testing tool that I have had in my personal electrical tool pouch for years, and is the first test tool I grab to help identify electrical wiring. It is a Non-contact tester that I use to easily Detect Voltage in Cables, Cords, Circuit Breakers, Lighting Fixtures, Switches, Outlets and Wires. Simply insert the end of the tester into an outlet, lamp socket, or hold the end of the tester against the wire you wish to test. Very handy and easy to use.
The Quickest Way to Check for Faulty Electrical Wiring!The Plug-In Outlet Tester
This is the first tool I grab to troubleshoot a problem with outlet circuit wiring. This popular tester is also used by most inspectors to test for power and check the polarity of circuit wiring.
It detects probable improper wiring conditions in standard 110-125 VAC outlets Provides 6 probable wiring conditions that are quick and easy to read for ultimate efficiency Lights indicate if wiring is correct and indicator light chart is included Tests standard 3-wire outlets UL Listed Light indicates if wiring is incorrect Very handy and easy to use.
Strip Off Wire Insulation without Nicking and Damaging the Electric Wire!The Wire Stripper and Wire Cutter
My absolute favorite wire stripping tool that I have had in my personal electrical tool pouch for years, and this is the tool I use to safely strip electrical wires.
This handy tool has multiple uses:
The wire gauges are shown on the side of the tool so you know which slot to use for stripping insulation.
The end of the tool can be used to grip and bend wire which is handy for attaching wire onto the screw terminals of switches and outlets..
The wire stripper will work on both solid and stranded wire. This tool is Very Handy and Easy to Use.
|More articles about Electrical Repair and Home Electrical Wiring:|
|« Previous||Next »|
|Can I Change The Wiring For My New Exhaust Fan And Light Fixture?||Wiring the Ground for a Generator and Transfer Switch|