» Residential Electrical Wiring: Guide to Home Wiring
» Home » Electrical Wiring Projects
Can I Change The Wiring For My New Exhaust Fan And Light Fixture?
How to Wire a Bath Exhaust Fan and Light Fixture: You could junction in the exhaust fan junction box or a new junction box could be installed in an accessible location and separate out the switched wiring, one which will lead to the bathroom exhaust fan and the other that will lead to the recessed light fixture.
Bath Exhaust Fan and Light Fixture
[ad#block]Electrical Questions I am replacing an old bathroom ventilation fan/light combo unit with a new fan (without a light kit)and a new recessed ceiling light fixture.
- For the old combo unit, the light and fan were separately controlled with two wall switches.
- I’d like to use the existing wiring and light switches to control the new fan and new recessed light.
- Can I wire the new recessed light and tie it into the fan’s junction box, and then connect the wires is the same way they were connected in the fan/light combo?
- I should note that this is a newer home with up to date wiring.
Background: Trish, a Handy Woman from North Hampton, NH.
Thanks for your electrical question Trish.
How to Wire a Bath Exhaust Fan and Light Fixture
Skill Level: Beginner to Intermediate.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools, a non-aluminum ladder and Voltage Tester.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience, ability to work with tools and access to the light fixture and exhaust fan.
Precaution: Identify the bathroom light circuit, turn it OFF and Tag it with a Note before working with the wiring.
Notice: Installing additional bathroom fixture electrical wiring should be done with a permit and be inspected.
- Yes, you could junction in the exhaust fan junction box or a new junction box could be installed in an accessible location and separate out the switched wiring, one which will lead to the bathroom exhaust fan and the other that will lead to the recessed light fixture.
- In this case you may find that the neutral is shared. Bond the ground wires together.
- Use appropriately sized wire connectors and install a black cover onto the junction box.
- Follow the links below for more information about installing your new recessed light and the existing bathroom exhaust fan.
More about Home Lighting Projects:
How To Install Recessed Lighting
Installing recessed lighting for your home electrical improvements. Discover how recessed lighting can enhance the mood of any room in your home.
Bathroom Electrical Wiring
Fully Explained Photos and Wiring Diagrams for Bathroom Electrical Wiring with Code Requirements for most new or remodel projects.
For Best Results Consult a Licensed Electrical Contractor.
Locate An Electrical Contractor in Your Area
The following may also be helpful for you:
Electrical Wiring Video #2
Home Electrical Wiring Videos about this Topic and More
Dave's Companion Guide to Home Electrical Wiring:
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
|More articles about Exhaust Fans, Lighting and Home Electrical Wiring:|
|« Previous||Next »|
|What Is The Best Type of Under Cabinet Lighting?||Home Electrical Wiring Repairs – Should You Fix It?|