Wiring a 3 Way Switch
Electrical Switches Question:
I need to convert a single pole switch to a 3 way switch. I do not have access to add a 4th wire.
© By: Dave Rongey
How to Wire the 3Way Switch Traveler
Electrical Switches Question:
I need to convert a single pole switch to a 3 way switch.
I do not have access to add a 4th wire. Can I use the ground wire as the Traveler (Red wire) and then ground the last switch in the run to the box it is in?
The power will be coming from the light.
Hi Christian - Great Electrical Repair Question!
Your thinking is very creative, however because the ground wire is most likely not insulated and because you would be interfering with the integrity of the bonding of the grounding system I advise you not to use the ground as a traveler because this could become a fire hazard. The ground wire must remain the ground wire and may not be used for any other purpose.
My recommendation is that you investigate the possibility of installing the required 3-Wire cable with a ground to get the 3-way wired correctly. A three wire cable is typically installed between the two 3-way switch locations to provide the switching using the traveler set which is not part of a single pole switch.
Here is a link to some 3-Way Switch Wiring Diagrams that should be very helpful.
Another option may be to purchase and install a set of Lutron 3-way light switches which will work very well for most any application.
A Complete Guide to Home Electrical Wiring
Be sure to get your copy of my BIG Book:
Perfect for Homeowners, Students and Electricians
Home Electrical Wiring - Room by Room
120 Volt Circuits
240 Volt Circuits
Wiring Methods for Installing Home Electrical Circuit Wiring
Electrical Codes for Home Electrical Wiring
....and much more.
Related Electrical Wiring Projects
More about 3 way switch traveler
- Wire Two Light SwitchesWiring a Light Switch - How Can I Wire Two Light Switches to Control One Light Fixture? The Key to Wiring Light Switches, Wiring Three Way Switches and Four Way Switches.
- Fixing Your 3-Way SwitchesCommon Problems with 3-Way Switches and How to Fix Them: Basic Wiring Method for 3Way Switches, 3-Wire Cable Connects the Switches, Easy to Understand 3 Way Switch Diagrams.
- How to Replace a 3 Way Switch with a 3 Way Dimmer SwitchHow to Wire 3Way Dimmer Switches: Common 3Way Dimmer Switch Wire Connections and Light Level Adjustments, Wiring Two 3Way Dimmer Switches.
- How do I wire my 3-way switches?In order to answer this question you must first identify the configuration of your existing wiring configuration including....
- Question – Cords and How to Identify the Individual Wires – Part 3I think a hardware store employee gave me wrong advice about cords. One side is smooth, one is ridged; which is which?
- Question – Dimmer Switches – Part 2When lights that are on dimmer switches don't work, make sure you understand the difference between Master and Slave dimmer switches.
- Wiring Diagrams for 3-Way SwitchesThe Key to Wiring 3-Way Switches - The Power Feed and the Switch Leg leading to the fixture(s) typically, one at each switch location, are attached to the screw terminal found at one end of the switch by itself
- SitemapCeiling Fans Airplane Ceiling Fan Airplane Ceiling Fan Ceiling Fan Direction Summer Ceiling Fan Direction Winter Ceiling Fan Wiring Diagram 1 Ceiling Fan Wiring Diagram 2 Ceiling Fan Wiring Questions and Answers Ceiling Fans Wiring – Part 1 Ceiling Fans Wiring – Part 2 Introduction to Ceiling Fan Remote Controls Outdoor Ceiling Fan 1 Outdoor […]