Disconnect Faulty Electrical Devices to Avoid Hazards
what happen when you leave appliances on that don’t work while running on power…
Electrical Question from Ken about Electrical Device Problems
Background: Ken, a Student from Dallas, Texas
Question: I have a vent hood over my stove but the fan doesn’t work, if I leave it on and it doesn’t work what can happen? Also I hear a hissing noise coming from my light switch like a low voltage tazer, what could this be. Furthermore, the lights in my kitchen dims and brightens and sometimes only portions of the lights come on, what could this be? But most importantly I will like to know what happen when you leave appliances that don’t work running on power?
Thanks for your electrical question Ken.
Disconnect any electrical device that does not work to avoid overheating and a possible fire hazard.
The hissing that you hear from the light switch may be caused by the contacts breaking down. I suggest that the switch be replaced.
The problem you are having with the kitchen lights is most likely due to a faulty connection or splice within the electrical circuit. This is discovered using troubleshooting techniques as described in the Electrical Troubleshooting ares of the website.
The Following links will assist you with your electrical question:
Make sure not to miss these Resources for: How-To-Videos
Be Careful and Be Safe – Never Work on Energized Circuits!
For Best Results Consult a Licensed Electrical Contractor.
Locate An Electrical Contractor in Your Area
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
|More articles about Electrical, Faulty Devices and Home Electrical Wiring:|
|« Previous||Next »|
|Older Home Ceiling Fan Replaces Existing Light Fixture||End Ring Break Of An Induction Motor|