» Residential Electrical Wiring: Guide to Home Wiring
» Need Electrical Help? Ask the Electrician
What Is The Best Type of Under Cabinet Lighting?
How to Select the Right Under Cabinet Light Fixtures: We would like to add under cabinet lighting. What lighting, in your opinion, is the best of the current variety of options?
Under Cabinet Light Fixtures
[ad#block]Electrical Question: We would like to add under cabinet lighting. What lighting, in your opinion, is the best of the current variety of options?
- We are having new cabinets and granite counter tops installed in our 28 year old kitchen.
- We were leaning toward LED but are unsure of the complexity in replacement, when lights “burn out” and/or cost.
- Our electrician has never installed LED but recommends xenon.
- We just know we do not want any light that heats up.
- It’s hot enough in the south w/o adding more heat in a kitchen!
Background: Libby, a Homeowner from North Augusta, South Carolina.
Thanks for your electrical wiring question Libby.
How to Select the Right Under Cabinet Light Fixtures
- When considering under cabinet lighting I always ask questions about the type of granite counter tops that are installed:
- If there will be a back splash, what type, color and how high.
- What is the desired effect you would like from the lighting?
- What color will the granite be, will it absorb the light or reflect it?
- Will there be inlaid design or patterns that you wish to accentuate?
- Is it cultured or true granite.
- What is the contrast between the counter tops and the cabinets.
- The under cabinet lighting will either be the highlight of your kitchen or not, and you have a one time chance of getting it right.
- My suggestion is to see what the end result will be before the lighting is installed.
- One thing to understand is that the different types of lighting will produce different colors and types of light.
- A smooth even light is produced with fluorescent lights but they will produce a yellowish color unless you get color corrected lamps or use a filter.
- LED and Xenon are a bright, less evenly distributed light but may be controlled by a dimmer switch. The xenon lamps produce heat at full illumination, but I like the ability to control the level of light I wish to have.
- To me, lighting is everything. It’s what makes everything else look fantastic if the lighting is right.
More about Under Cabinet Lighting
Installing Under Cabinet Lights
- Installing under cabinet lights for your home electrical improvements. This article explains installing under cabinet lights and the lighting features you should know about.
The following may also be helpful for you:
Electrical Wiring Video #2
Home Electrical Wiring Videos about this Topic and More
Dave's Companion Guide to Home Electrical Wiring:
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
|More articles about Lighting, Under Cabinet and Home Electrical Wiring:|
|« Previous||Next »|
|Wiring Pendulum Lights For A Creative Application||Can I Change The Wiring For My New Exhaust Fan And Light Fixture?|