Wye and Delta Electrical Configuration
The Definition of Wye and Delta Electrical Configurations as taught in Electrical Trade Schools
The Definition of Wye and Delta Electrical Configurations
Electrical Training Question: I am a graduate of an electrical trade school and have 2 yrs experience.
- I do not recall reading up on Wye & Delta wiring.
- Can you give me a small explanation of Wye and Delta.
- When I will most likely come across this type of wiring.
- Are these configurations mostly used on residential or industrial.
Background: Eddie, a Electrician from La Puente CA
Thanks for your electrical question Eddie.
Wye and Delta Electrical Configurations
The Wye and Delta, also described as Y-delta, Wye-delta, is a mathematical technique to simplify the analysis of an electrical network. The name is given due to the shapes of the circuit diagrams, which look respectively like the letter Y and the Greek capital letter which resembles a Triangle. In the UK the Wye diagram is also known as a star.
Because the Y and Delta is directly related to the transformation of electricity, it will also be helpful to see how this is applied at the transformer:
Using Three-Phase Transformer Connections as a Practical Example
- There are only 4 possible transformer combinations:
- Delta to Delta – used in industrial applications.
- Delta to Wye – used most common in commercial and industrial applications.
- Wye to Delta – used with high voltage transmissions.
- Wye to Wye – use is rare because it can cause harmonics and balancing problems.
- Comparatively the connections of three-phase transformers that are connected in delta or wye configurations:
The wye-delta transformer has the primary winding connected in a wye and the secondary winding is connected in a delta.
- The delta-wye transformer has the primary winding connected in delta and the secondary winding is connected in a wye
More about Electrical Codes
House Wiring Circuits and Circuit Breakers
This article looks at common 120 volt and 240 volt house wiring circuits and the circuit breakers that are installed identifying the types and amperage sizes used in most homes.
Electrical Panel Circuit Listing
Electrical Code Articles for Home Wiring
Electrical Code Directory covering afci-circuit, electrical-boxes, electrical-circuit, electrical-code-outlets, electrical-gfci, electrical-grounding, electrical-project, electrical-services, electrical-underground, electrical-wiring, electrical-wiring-code, lighting-code, and smoke-detectors.
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
The Safest Way to Test Electrical Devices and Identify Electric Wiring!The Non-Contact Electrical Tester
This is a testing tool that I have had in my personal electrical tool pouch for years, and is the first test tool I grab to help identify electrical wiring. It is a Non-contact tester, [amazon.com], I use for the detection of Standard Voltage in Cables, Cords, Circuit Breakers, Lighting Fixtures, Switches, Outlets and Wires. Simply insert the end of the tester into an outlet, lamp socket, or hold the end of the tester against the wire you wish to test. Very handy and easy to use.
|« Electrical Cables Through Wood Framing||How Electricians Can Get Jobs and Get Back to Work »|