Wiring Two Outside Motion Lights to One Switch
How to Wire Two Outside Motion Security Light Fixtures: The Most Common Wiring Connections for Two Outdoor Light Fixture.
Wiring a Switch for Two Outside Motion Lights
[ad#block]Electrical Question: What is the correct wiring when adding a second outside motion light to an existing switch?
- It is not feasible to wire from the existing light so, the wiring would have to be from the switch.
- I know all the white wires have to be put together along with the grounds.
- Do both black feeds to the lights go on the terminal together ?
This electrical question came from: Ron, a Homeowner from Allentown, Pennsylvania.
Thanks for your electrical wiring question Ron.
How to Wire Outside Motion Security Light Fixtures
Application: Security Light Fixture Wiring.
Skill Level: Beginner to Intermediate. This electrical wiring project is best performed by a Licensed Electrical Contractor or Certified Electrician.
Tools Required: Basic Hand Tools and Safe Ladder.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal experience, the light fixture and access to the light fixture.
Precaution: Identify the light fixture circuit, turn it OFF and Tag it with a Note before working with the wiring.
Notice: Replacement parts for the light fixture should be compatible with the type of lamps that have been installed.
- The Most Common Wiring Connections for Two Outdoor Light Fixture
- The black wires going to the motion light fixtures need to join together, but not on the switch, instead splice the two wires after the switch.
- With this wiring configuration you would end up with 3 black wires:
- One black wire for the switch as the power source.
- One black wire for light #1.
- Another black wire for light #2.
More about Wiring Security Lights and Motion Detectors
Installing Motion Detector Light Fixtures
Installing motion detector lighting fixtures provide security and energy savings and they can easily replace an existing exterior wall fixture.
Light Switch Wiring
Wiring a Light Switch – Diagram 1
Fully explained pictures and wiring diagrams about wiring light switches describing the most common switches starting with photo diagram 1.
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
|More articles about Lighting, Motion Detector and Home Electrical Wiring:|
|« Previous||Next »|
|Garage Electrical Wiring Upgrades||Dangers of Warm Electrical Outlets and Aluminum Wiring|