Calculating the Circuit Size for Lights and Ceiling Fans
How to Determine the Circuit Size for a Lighting by Calculating the Total Electrical Load…
Calculating the Circuit Size for Lighting
[ad#block]Electrical Question: I want to put 2 to 3 68 watt fluorescent ceiling lights, 1 ceiling fan rated at 39 watts and 1 duplex wall outlet on a 20amp circuit. I can do away with one fluorescent light and the wall outlet if needed.
This electrical question came from: Neil, from Rogersville, Tennessee
See more about Home Wiring for Tennessee
Thanks for your electrical question Neil
Electrical Lighting Circuits
How to Determine the Circuit Size for Lighting Based on Watts
- Neil, you are on the right track to determine the wire size of the electrical circuit. Adding up the total number of watts is the best way to see what the actual load will be.
- There are typically two circuit sizes that can be used for home lighting:
- 15 amps, 120 volts which has the rated capacity of 1800 watts.
- 20 amps, 120 volts which has the rated capacity of 2400 watts.
- These calculations are based on 100% power factor.
- Keep in mind that an electrical circuit should be loaded to 80% of the rated capacity.
More about Home Electrical Wiring
Electrical Wire for the Home
Complete listing of electrical wire types and parts used for home projects with electrical code information serves as selection guidelines.
How to Install Ceiling Fans
Take the mystery out of ceiling fan wiring. Ceiling Fans are a great way to lower your energy bill and brighten up one of your favorite rooms.
How to Install Ceiling Fans and Wiring
Step-by-step pictures – Easy wiring diagrams and installation guide – Light and fan switch variations.
Ceiling Fan Wiring
Wiring Electrical Outlets for the Home
Home electrical wiring includes 110 volt outlets and 220 volt outlets and receptacles which are common place in every home. See how wiring electrical outlets for the home are done.
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
|More articles about Electrical Wiring and Home Electrical Wiring:|
|« Previous||Next »|
|Identifying Wiring for a Ceiling Fan and Light Fixture||Dimmer Switches That are Warm to the Touch – Is This a Problem?|