» Residential Electrical Wiring: Guide to Home Wiring
» Need Electrical Help? Ask the Electrician
Wiring Connections When Replacing a Light Fixture
How do I connect the light fixture wires to my ceiling electrical box wiring? Electrical Wiring Connections for Light Fixture, Best Practices When Replacing Light Fixtures.
Light Fixture Wiring
[ad#block]Electrical Wiring Question: How do I connect the light fixture wires to my ceiling electrical box wiring?
- My ceiling electrical box has 2 black wires and 2 white wires, 1 red wire, and two bare copper wires that are banded together partway up the wire with what looks like a strip of metal. I had a friend who said they knew what they were doing help me out with installing a new hanging light fixture. After taking the old one off they couldn’t figure out how to attach the new one so now I have no light and some of my wall plugs aren’t working either.
- I have been trying to read the self help stuff on this website to figure out what to do with all the wires so my plugs will work again but it seems like everyone else has different numbers of wires than I have.
- I understand that the white wire is neutral, the black wire is for a ceiling fan motor (if you have one) the red wire is for the power to the light and the bare copper wire is the ground. The problem is that my ceiling electrical box has 2 black wires and 2 white wires, 1 red wire, and two bare copper wires that are banded together partway up the wire with what looks like a strip of metal. I don’t have money to hire an electrician so for now I just want to fix the wires so that they can’t start a fire and so that my wall plugs will work again. Can you please tell me what to do?
- I have several yellow caps that my friend left, I am just afraid to connect the wires without knowing which wire to connect to which wire and I don’t trust my friend to mess with it any further.
Can you please help me?
This home electrical repairs question came from: Andrea, from Beaverton, Oregon.
Additional Comments: This is a great website I have already learned a lot from just a half an hour of browsing.
Thanks for your electrical troubleshooting question Andrea.
How to Connect the Wires for a Light Fixture
Understanding Light Fixture Wiring
Application: Ceiling Mounted or Wall Mounted Light Fixture.
Skill Level: Beginner to Intermediate.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools, a non-aluminum ladder and Voltage Tester.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience, ability to work with tools and access to the light fixture(s).
Precaution: Identify the lighting circuit, turn it OFF and Tag it with a Note before working with the circuit wiring.
Notice: Installing additional fixture wiring should be done according to local and national electrical codes with a permit and be inspected.
Best Practices When Replacing Light Fixtures
Before replacing a light fixture the electrical wiring connections should be labeled so it is known which wire was connected where. This can be done any number of ways including making a quick drawing and using masking tape to label each wire or set of wires, or taking a picture would be helpful as well.
Electrical Wiring Connections for Light Fixtures
- If the original wiring connections were not identified then the task of identifying the wiring and each component of the circuit is required and a voltage tester may be required.
- With the circuit wiring as described in this question the components of the circuit which need to be identified are the following:
- The light switch.
- The ceiling fixture.
- The wall outlets.
- Typically when this wiring scenario is found the following may apply:
- The White neutral wires are connected together and the white fixture wire is connected as well.
- The black wire is connected to the other black wire.
- The red wire is connected to the black wire of the light fixture.
- The ground wires which would be either bare or green are all connected together and the ground wire of the light fixture is connected as well.
- NOTE: This wiring scenario should first be verified by observing or discovering the wiring that is used for switching and the wiring that is used to power the outlet.
Electrical Circuit Protection
When electrical circuit wiring is installed correctly there will be no danger of an electrical hazard or an electrical fire because when the circuit design is correct it will be protected by the circuit breaker, however incorrect wiring connections will affect the performance of the circuit and will affect anything that is connected to the circuit wiring.
More about Wiring Light Fixtures and Ceiling Fans
How to Install Ceiling Fans
Take the mystery out of ceiling fan wiring. Ceiling Fans are a great way to lower your energy bill and brighten up one of your favorite rooms.
How to Install Ceiling Fans and Wiring
Step-by-step pictures – Easy wiring diagrams and installation guide – Light and fan switch variations.
Electrical Wire for the Home
Complete listing of electrical wire types and parts used for home projects with electrical code information serves as selection guidelines.
Testers to Help Solve Electrical Problems
The following may also be helpful for you:
Electrical Wiring Video #2
Home Electrical Wiring Videos about this Topic and More
Dave's Companion Guide to Home Electrical Wiring:
|More articles about Electrical Repair, Electrical Wiring, Fixture Wiring, Light Fixture, Lighting and Home Electrical Wiring:|
|« Previous||Next »|
|Installing a Occupancy Sensor Switch for a Bath Exhaust Fan||How To Troubleshoot Wall Receptacle Problems|
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.