» Residential Electrical Wiring: Guide to Home Wiring
» Home » Electrical Wiring Projects
Wiring Connections for a Pre-Wired Ceiling Fan
How to Install Ceiling Fans and Wiring – Step-by-step pictures – Easy wiring diagrams and installation guide – Light and fan switch variations.
Making Connections for a Pre-Wired Ceiling Fan
[ad#block] Electrical Question: I had an electrician install pre-wire for a ceiling fan. However, I am confused as to how to exactly wire a ceiling fan to it.
- There is the wiring that is coming out. But, there is the ground wire, inside the white Molex sheathing.
- Then the black and the white wires. And, that is it.
- The white and the black are controlled with the switch on the wall and the ground being used as the return.
- So, like when I flip one switch, the black and the ground wire will be hot.
- Then, when switch the other switch, the white and the ground wire will be hot.
But, on the ceiling fan, I have the black wire for the motor, the blue wire for the lights, the white wire for the white wire that would connect to the house wiring and of course the green wire for ground. I am not sure how to exactly hook this up since this ceiling fan pre-wire is different than the rest of the house. I don’t want to hook it up wrong and fry the ceiling fan,and or cause a short.
This is how I have it wired now.
- I have the black wire connected to the black wire that controls the van via the switch, and the ground (green) connected to ground, and the white connected to white AND the blue wire ALSO connected to white.
Would this or will this work?
Thank you so much!
Background: Jeff, a Homeowner from Longmont, CO
Thanks for your electrical wiring question Jeff.
How to Make Wiring Connections for a Pre-Wired Ceiling Fan
Based on your question Jeff, the following specific links may be helpful to you:
How to Install Ceiling Fans and Wiring
Step-by-step pictures – Easy wiring diagrams and installation guide – Light and fan switch variations.
- Ceiling Fan Wiring
- Ceiling Fan Wiring diagram #1
- Ceiling Fan Wiring diagram #2
- Ceiling Fan Installation #1
- Ceiling Fan Installation #2
- How to Install Ceiling Fans
- Take the mystery out of ceiling fan wiring. Ceiling Fans are a great way to lower your energy bill and brighten up one of your favorite rooms.
The following may also be helpful for you:
Electrical Wiring Video #2
Home Electrical Wiring Videos about this Topic and More
Dave's Companion Guide to Home Electrical Wiring:
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
|More articles about Ceiling Fans, Pre-Wired Ceiling Fan and Home Electrical Wiring:|
|« Previous||Next »|
|Why Fluorescent Bulbs Burn Out Quickly||Electrical Wiring for an Attached Garage|