Why Older Homes Have Dimming Lights
Why do the Lights Go Dim in the House? House Lights Dim When Power Is Used, The Power Requirements of the Home.
Dim Lights when Something is Used
Electrical Question: Why do the Lights Go Dim in the House?
- I have an old house 1925, only one room has grounded electricity.
- Recently if a use the microwave or a coffee pot, hair dryer, the lights will dim in the house.
- I’m not sure what is wrong and if I should call an electrician or the power company.
This Home Electrical Question came from: Lauren, a Homeowner from Utah.
Additional Comments: Very helpful and informative.
Thanks for your Electrical Wiring Question Lauren.
Lights will Dim in the House
The Power Requirements of the Home Electrical Service Panel
Why House Light Dim When Power Is Used: Evaluating The Requirements of the Electrical Service
Older homes may still have the original electrical service panel which may become overloaded to the point of causing dim lights when electric appliances are being used.
- If the house has not had an upgraded electrical service then you may want to have an electrical contractor make an evaluation of your circuit requirements.
- The electrician should provide an estimate to upgrade the electrical service.
- The electrician should also discuss installing new electrical wiring for dedicated circuits to the appropriate devices, such as the microwave oven.
More about Dim Lights and Electrical Service
Electrical Codes for Services
Circuit Breaker Panel
Electrician Explains Circuit Breaker Panels Complete with Photos. The home circuit breaker panel contains several circuit breakers that are carefully installed by experienced electricians and electrical contractors.
220 Volt Heater Circuit to Sub Panel
Installing and Connecting a 220 Volt Heater Circuit to a Sub Panel
Electrical Codes for Electrical Service Panels
Electrician Explains Electrical Codes for Home Electric Service Panels with Photos, Wiring Diagrams and Answers to Your Questions.
Browse other questions about this topic:
Electrical Wiring upgrade knob and tube wiring dim lights, electrical upgrade, electrical wiring, lights will dim, older home, panel upgrade, upgrade wiring
Or Ask Dave a Question
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.