Ceiling Fan Connections for Red and Blue Wires
How do I connect the red and blue wires for a ceiling fan? How to Install Ceiling Fans and Make the Wiring Connections.
Wire Connections for Ceiling Fans
Electrical Question: How do I connect the red and blue wires for a ceiling fan?
I am replacing a ceiling fan in a bedroom with a hang down type of installation for my sloped ceiling.
- From the ceiling there is a black wire, red wire, white wire, green wire and plain ground wire.
- From the fan, there are black, blue, green & white.
- My fan installation instructions say to connect the blue & black from the fan to the black from the ceiling.
- Then connect white to white. It does not mention what to do with the red from the ceiling. Also, are both the green and the plain wire from the ceiling ground wires?
- Should I connect one or both of them to just the green wire from the fan, or also to the green wire attached to the side of the hanger bracket?
This electrical question came from: Jerry, a Homeowner from Safety Harbor, Florida.
Thanks for your electrical wiring question Jerry.
Ceiling Fan Wiring Connections
Application: Wiring a Ceiling Fan
Skill Level: Beginner to Intermediate.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools, a non-aluminum ladder and Voltage Tester.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience, ability to work with tools and access to the ceiling fan.
Precaution: Identify the ceiling fan circuit, turn it OFF and Tag it with a Note before working with the wiring.
How to Install Ceiling Fans and Make the Wiring Connections
- Typically when there is a red wire at the ceiling fan box it is connected to the blue light fixture wire of the ceiling fan.
- If there is a Black and Red wire then this usually means there are two separate wall switches, one for each function.
- All of the green ground wires should be connected together along withe the ground wire in the ceiling box.
More about How to Wire a Ceiling Fan
Step-by-step pictures with Easy wiring diagrams and installation guide for Light and fan switch electrical wiring connections.
Ceiling Fan Wiring
Ceiling Fan Installation
How to Wire Ceiling Fans
How to Install Ceiling Fans
Take the mystery out of ceiling fan wiring. Ceiling Fans are a great way to lower your energy bill and brighten up one of your favorite rooms.
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
The Safest Way to Test Electrical Devices and Identify Electric Wiring!The Non-Contact Electrical Tester
This is a testing tool that I have had in my personal electrical tool pouch for years, and is the first test tool I grab to help identify electrical wiring. It is a Non-contact tester, [amazon.com], I use for the detection of Standard Voltage in Cables, Cords, Circuit Breakers, Lighting Fixtures, Switches, Outlets and Wires. Simply insert the end of the tester into an outlet, lamp socket, or hold the end of the tester against the wire you wish to test. Very handy and easy to use.
|« Tanning Bed Circuit Requirements||Why Older Homes Have Dimming Lights »|