Why Dusk to Dawn Fixtures Go On and Off
April 10, 2018 by: Dave Rongey
What would cause a dusk to dawn light fixture to turn on and off? How to Test Outside Motion Light Fixtures for the sensitivity of the motion detector.
Cause of On and Off Dusk to Dawn Light Fixture
Electrical Question #1: What would cause a dusk to dawn light fixture to turn on and off?
I have a dusk to dawn light fixture that turns on and off quite a lot. I replace an old outside light fixture with a new Area dusk to dawn fixture. I had observe that the new light fixture goes on and off. It come on about 5 min, then back on with 5 min., what could be the problem?
This electrical question came from: Bob, a Homeowner from Los Angeles, California.
Electrical Question #2:
- We have outdoor motion sensor light, I do not know where the off on switch is, and it is flicking on and off. I am afraid it may have frayed wiring and could cause a fire. How do we locate the correct switch?
This electrical question came from Tim in Cottageville, South Carolina.
Electrical Question #3:
I have a dusk to dawn motion light. It works just fine at night. Motion activates it and the light burns until the time expires. The problem is during the daytime. Once it becomes light outside the light comes on and burns until it detects dusk again. Once it becomes dark it works properly until the next morning.
This electrical wiring question came from Skip, a Handyman in Bedford, Indiana.
Thank you for your electrical questions.
How to Test Outside Motion Light Fixtures
Adjusting a Motion Detector Light Fixture
- Adjusting the Settings While in the TEST Mode
- When your done with test make sure that the Switch Setting is not set to TEST.
- The Test Switch setting enables the fixture to override the photocell and allows you to test the positioning and sensitivity settings of the motion detector.
- If the switch is left in the TEST position you will have the light activity that you are describing.
Lear More about Outside Motion Light Fixtures
- Installing Motion Detector and Security Light Fixtures
- Installing motion detector lighting fixtures provide security and energy savings and they can easily replace an existing exterior wall fixture.
- For more information about Troubleshooting
- Troubleshooting Electrical Wiring
- Licensed Electrician Reveals the Secrets of Successful Electrical Troubleshooting Methods used to solve the majority of the home electrical problems and wiring failures encountered.
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
The Safest Way to Test Electrical Devices and Identify Electric Wires!The Non-Contact Electrical Tester
This is a testing tool that I have had in my personal electrical tool pouch for years, and is the first test tool I grab to help identify electrical wiring. It is a Non-contact tester that I use to easily Detect Voltage in Cables, Cords, Circuit Breakers, Lighting Fixtures, Switches, Outlets and Wires. Simply insert the end of the tester into an outlet, lamp socket, or hold the end of the tester against the wire you wish to test. Very handy and easy to use.
The Quickest Way to Check for Faulty Electrical Wiring!The Plug-In Outlet Tester
This is the first tool I grab to troubleshoot a problem with outlet circuit wiring. This popular tester is also used by most inspectors to test for power and check the polarity of circuit wiring.
It detects probable improper wiring conditions in standard 110-125 VAC outlets Provides 6 probable wiring conditions that are quick and easy to read for ultimate efficiency Lights indicate if wiring is correct and indicator light chart is included Tests standard 3-wire outlets UL Listed Light indicates if wiring is incorrect Very handy and easy to use.
Strip Off Wire Insulation without Nicking and Damaging the Electric Wire!The Wire Stripper and Wire Cutter
My absolute favorite wire stripping tool that I have had in my personal electrical tool pouch for years, and this is the tool I use to safely strip electrical wires.
This handy tool has multiple uses:
The wire gauges are shown on the side of the tool so you know which slot to use for stripping insulation.
The end of the tool can be used to grip and bend wire which is handy for attaching wire onto the screw terminals of switches and outlets..
The wire stripper will work on both solid and stranded wire. This tool is Very Handy and Easy to Use.
|More articles about Dusk to Dawn Fixtures, Electrical Repair and Home Electrical Wiring:|
|« Previous||Next »|
|LED Lights and Transformer||Electrical Junction Box Access|