» Residential Electrical Wiring: Guide to Home Wiring
» Need Electrical Help? Ask the Electrician
LED Lights and Transformer
How to Install Electrical Wiring for LED Light Fixtures
How to Install Electrical Wiring for LED Lights
[ad#block]Electrical Question: I just bought a led spot light MR16 12volt to change them with the old one I had which was a spot light MR16 12volt. The replacement lamp is not working ? Do I need to get a different transformer for the led lights?
This electrical question came from: Giacomo, from London, UK.
Thanks for your electrical question Giacomo
Electrical Wiring for LED Light Fixtures
- When installing LED or any low voltage lighting fixtures a transformer is used to reduce the voltage from 120 volts to 12 volts.
- The number of lights that will be installed will determine the size of the transformer, and the size of the low voltage electrical wiring.
Testing a LED Transformer and Light bulbs
- Giacomo, If there are any other lamps that are working which were connected to the transformer then the transformer may be working.
- A voltage tester will be needed to test the output of the transformer at the wiring of the mr16 lamp socket to see if there is 12 volts present.
- An ohm meter may be used to check the mr16 light bulb to see if it is defective as well.
Understanding Electrical Testers
When working on home electrical wiring using voltage testers can play an important part in electrical safety. Electrical testers enable you to identify electrical circuits and help prevent the possibility of accidental electrical shock.
Types of Electrical Testers
Troubleshooting and Repairing Electrical Wiring
Licensed Electrician Reveals the Secrets of Successful Electrical Troubleshooting Methods used to solve the majority of the home electrical problems and wiring failures encountered.
The following may also be helpful for you:
Electrical Wiring Video #2
Home Electrical Wiring Videos about this Topic and More
Dave's Companion Guide to Home Electrical Wiring:
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
|More articles about Electrical and Home Electrical Wiring:|
|« Previous||Next »|
|How to Install and Wire a Baseboard Heater||Why Dusk to Dawn Fixtures Go On and Off|