Why a EV Charging Station is Tripping a Circuit Breaker
Wiring a EV Charging Station: 240 volt 30 amp Electric Vehicle Charging Station.© By: Dave Rongey
EV Charging Station is Tripping a Circuit Breaker
Electrical Troubleshooting Question: I’m having a problem with a tripping circuit breaker.
- I studied the NEC 2008, and did a load analysis, got a building permit, and had an inspector come when I put in a 240volt, 30amp EV Electric Vehicle Charging Station last year.
- I’ve had the breaker trip when I had a lot of load on it, but not over 70 amps worth.
- I thought the 100a main was just old and changed it, but still having a problem with the new breaker.
- When I go to the breaker box I find the upper half of the 100a main breaker and the 40a charger breaker about 20F hotter than the lower half. (used a digital thermometer gun) So maybe a connection on one phase is not tight.
This home electrical repairs question came from: Whit, from Charlotte, North Carolina.
Additional Comments: So is maybe a connection on one phase is not tight?
Thanks for your electrical troubleshooting question Whit.
Wiring a EV Charging Station
240 volt 30 amp Electric Vehicle Charging Station
- Electrical Wiring for a 240 volt 30 amp electric vehicle charging station must be sized and installed as specified for the EV charging station.
- All of the electrical components must be rated throughout for the voltage and amperage.
- When there are loose connections or an unbalanced load then this may create an overheated condition which could cause tripping a circuit breaker and probable arcing which could lead to a dangerous condition and deteriorating electrical components.
- If this is occurring then the electrical panel should be carefully inspected by a qualified electrician who will located the condition and make the necessary repairs.
More about Electrical Circuit Wiring
Home Electrical Circuit Breakers
- A guide to home electrical circuit breakers and how they work to protect your electrical wiring.
- When properly installed, your home electrical wiring is protected by a circuit protection device.
Testers to Help Solve Electrical Problems
Understanding Digital Volt Meters
- When working on home electrical wiring using voltage meter can play an important part in electrical safety.
- Electrical testers and voltage meters enable you to identify electrical circuits and help prevent the possibility of accidental electrical shock.
The following may also be helpful for you:
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
|More articles about Electrical Troubleshooting, EV Car Charger and Home Electrical Wiring:|
|« Previous||Next »|
|Telephone Wiring for an External Bell||Qualifying for an Electrical Contractors License|