Using a Control Relay for Well Pump Operation
How to Build a Control Circuit to Operate Two Well Pumps: I have two water wells and both produce too little on their own to provide sufficient water for our home.
Basic Control Circuit to Operate Well Pumps
Electrical Question: I have two water wells and both produce too little on their own to provide sufficient water for our home.
- They are almost identical in every way, including the submersible pumps and pressure switches.
- Each has its own 220v 30a breaker and circuit.
- Can I combine into one circuit, increase that circuit’s breaker to 60a, wire that single circuit into a single pressure switch, have two circuits come off the pressure switch (one to each pump) and put a 30a breaker on each of these circuits between the single pressure switch and their respective pumps?
Background: Scott, a Homeowner from Raleigh, NC.
Thanks for your electrical wiring question Scott.
How to Build a Control Circuit to Operate Two Well Pumps
Controlling Two Well Pumps
- You can accomplish this type of control for two well pumps simply by using a basic control circuit that would run through the pressure switches and activate 30 amp rated motor controls (larger relays) which would start or stop the pumps.
- The control circuit could be a 120 or 240 volt protected circuit which may be powered by a transformer which is wired to the primary side of one of the pump circuits or it could be a separate circuit.
More about Wiring to Control Two Well Pumps
- 220 Volt Wiring Diagram
- Circuit Breakers
- House Wiring Circuits and Circuit Breakers
- Electrical Panel Circuit Listing
- Electric Circuit Listing
- The size of the home electrical service panel is designed by calculating the square footage of the home and factoring in the code requirements for the electrical circuits that are required.
- Electrical Wiring Protection using Circuit Breakers
- A guide to home electrical circuit breakers and how they work to protect your electrical wiring. When properly installed, your home electrical wiring is protected by a circuit protection device.
- Electrical Wire for the Home
A listing of electrical wire types and parts used for home projects with electrical code information serves as selection guidelines.
Electrical Control Relays
- Electrical Relay Articles
This section will cover the use of relays that are sometimes needed to control special device loads such as Air Conditioners and other high demand equipment from starting at the same time.
Scott, you stated you were a Homeowner, so you may find the information found at this link to be helpful:
You identified your project to be about 220 Volt Wiring Diagram, so you might find this information useful:
- Wiring 220 Volt Electrical Outlet
- Home electrical wiring includes 110 volt outlets and 220 volt outlets and receptacles which are common place in every home. See how wiring electrical outlets for the home are done.
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
The Safest Way to Test Electrical Devices and Identify Electric Wires!The Non-Contact Electrical Tester
This is a testing tool that I have had in my personal electrical tool pouch for years, and is the first test tool I grab to help identify electrical wiring. It is a Non-contact tester that I use to easily Detect Voltage in Cables, Cords, Circuit Breakers, Lighting Fixtures, Switches, Outlets and Wires. Simply insert the end of the tester into an outlet, lamp socket, or hold the end of the tester against the wire you wish to test. Very handy and easy to use.
The Quickest Way to Check for Faulty Electrical Wiring!The Plug-In Outlet Tester
This is the first tool I grab to troubleshoot a problem with outlet circuit wiring. This popular tester is also used by most inspectors to test for power and check the polarity of circuit wiring.
It detects probable improper wiring conditions in standard 110-125 VAC outlets Provides 6 probable wiring conditions that are quick and easy to read for ultimate efficiency Lights indicate if wiring is correct and indicator light chart is included Tests standard 3-wire outlets UL Listed Light indicates if wiring is incorrect Very handy and easy to use.
Strip Off Wire Insulation without Nicking and Damaging the Electric Wire!The Wire Stripper and Wire Cutter
My absolute favorite wire stripping tool that I have had in my personal electrical tool pouch for years, and this is the tool I use to safely strip electrical wires.
This handy tool has multiple uses:
The wire gauges are shown on the side of the tool so you know which slot to use for stripping insulation.
The end of the tool can be used to grip and bend wire which is handy for attaching wire onto the screw terminals of switches and outlets..
The wire stripper will work on both solid and stranded wire. This tool is Very Handy and Easy to Use.
|More articles about 220 Volt Wiring, well pump and Home Electrical Wiring:|
|« Previous||Next »|
|How to Pass an Electrical Inspection for Recessed Lighting||Replacing 2 Wire and 3 Wire Receptacle Outlets|