Switching a Bathroom Fan and Light Separately
How to Wire Your Bathroom so the Lights and Fan are on Separate Switches – The key factor is to understand where the power source enters the circuit – The power source will either enter at the switch box or up at the light fixture or the exhaust fan.
Electrical Wiring for a Bathroom Light and Exhaust Fan
Electrical Question: I have a two switches and I’m trying to setup up the bathroom so the lights and fan don’t have to be on at the same time.
- There is an orange and white wire coming from one side which I believe is for the light and then a black and white Romex from where the old fan used to be.
- Basically I want to turn it into a a separate feed.
- Do you have any advice for me?
Thank for your time.
This electrical wiring question came from: Kyle, a Handyman from Minnesota.
Thanks for your electrical wiring question Kyle.
How to Wire Your Bathroom so the Lights and Fan are on Separate Switches
- The electrical wiring for separate switching of the bathroom exhaust fan and the light fixture will require identifying the existing circuit and existing switch wiring.
- The key factor is to understand where the power source enters the circuit.
- The power source will either enter at the switch box or up at the light fixture or the exhaust fan.
- A separate cable will need to be installed from the wall switch box to the junction location where the wiring is located for the exhaust fan and the light.
- The wiring will need to be reconfiguration to allow routing the power through the new switch and then to the device to be switched separately.
- Identifying the existing wiring is essential in order for the details to be clarified.
The Following will assist you with your Bathroom Switches
- Electrical Wire for the Home
- Complete listing of electrical wire types and parts used for home projects with electrical code information serves as selection guidelines.
- Bathroom Electrical Wiring
- Fully Explained Photos and Wiring Diagrams for Bathroom Electrical Wiring with Code Requirements for most new or remodel projects.
Electrical Wiring Diagrams
- Home electrical wiring diagrams are an important tool for completing your electrical projects.
- An electrical wiring diagram can be as simple as a diagram showing how to install a new switch in your hallway, or as complex as the complete electrical blueprint for your new home or home improvement project.
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
|More articles about Electrical, Electrical Wiring and Home Electrical Wiring:|
|« Previous||Next »|
|Installing an Electrical Outlet for a Wall Mounted TV||Outside Lighting Wiring Diagram|