Switching a Bathroom Fan and Light Separately
How to Wire Your Bathroom so the Lights and Fan are on Separate Switches – The key factor is to understand where the power source enters the circuit – The power source will either enter at the switch box or up at the light fixture or the exhaust fan.
Electrical Wiring for a Bathroom Light and Exhaust Fan
[ad#block] Electrical Question: I have a two switches and I’m trying to setup up the bathroom so the lights and fan don’t have to be on at the same time.
- There is an orange and white wire coming from one side which I believe is for the light and then a black and white Romex from where the old fan used to be.
- Basically I want to turn it into a a separate feed.
- Do you have any advice for me?
Thank for your time.
This electrical wiring question came from: Kyle, a Handyman from Minnesota.
Thanks for your electrical wiring question Kyle.
How to Wire Your Bathroom so the Lights and Fan are on Separate Switches
- The electrical wiring for separate switching of the bathroom exhaust fan and the light fixture will require identifying the existing circuit and existing switch wiring.
- The key factor is to understand where the power source enters the circuit.
- The power source will either enter at the switch box or up at the light fixture or the exhaust fan.
- A separate cable will need to be installed from the wall switch box to the junction location where the wiring is located for the exhaust fan and the light.
- The wiring will need to be reconfiguration to allow routing the power through the new switch and then to the device to be switched separately.
- Identifying the existing wiring is essential in order for the details to be clarified.
The Following will assist you with your Bathroom Switches
- Electrical Wire for the Home
- Complete listing of electrical wire types and parts used for home projects with electrical code information serves as selection guidelines.
- Bathroom Electrical Wiring
- Fully Explained Photos and Wiring Diagrams for Bathroom Electrical Wiring with Code Requirements for most new or remodel projects.
Electrical Wiring Diagrams
- Home electrical wiring diagrams are an important tool for completing your electrical projects.
- An electrical wiring diagram can be as simple as a diagram showing how to install a new switch in your hallway, or as complex as the complete electrical blueprint for your new home or home improvement project.
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
|More articles about Electrical, Electrical Wiring and Home Electrical Wiring:|
|« Previous||Next »|
|Installing an Electrical Outlet for a Wall Mounted TV||Outside Lighting Wiring Diagram|