Installing an Electrical Outlet for a Wall Mounted TV
How to Install an Electrical Outlet for a Wall Mounted TV – There are some great cut-in boxes that can be used in either the wall or the ceiling which will avoid having to open up the wall.
Methods for Installing Power for a Wall Mounted TV
I have a wall mount TV that I want to install in a bedroom, close to the ceiling.
- I want the electric outlet work to be as non-invasive as possible.
- Is it OK to go through the attic and mount a box to a rafter such that the outlet will actually be in the ceiling instead of in the wall?
- This way, I can run Romex to the box and properly secure it to the rafter.
- If I put a renovation box in the wall and drill a hole through the top plate of the wall structure, I can’t get into the wall cavity to secure the Romex to a stud.
- Unless I take out a section of wall board and re-plaster.
This electrical wiring question came from: Mark, a Homeowner from Elburn, IL
Thanks for your electrical wiring question Mark.
How to Install an Electrical Outlet for a Wall Mounted TV
- Absolutely Mark, I have done this several times. Basically you install an electrical outlet box in the ceiling location of the TV.
- This can be done for both the power and the coax cable. Understand that there are some great cut-in electrical boxes that can be used in either the wall or the ceiling which will avoid having to open up the wall.
- A cable from a power source will need to be installed from the attic area or brought up from an existing wall receptacle.
- While your at it, consider installing speaker wiring for a bedroom surround sound experience.
The Following Resources will assist you to Installing Electrical Power for a Wall Mounted TV
- Bedroom Electrical Wiring
- Electrical Junction Boxes
- Electrical Code for How Many Wires in Junction Boxes
- Electrical Outlets
- Electrical Wire for the Home
- Electrical outlet wiring
- Wiring Electrical Outlet for the Home
- Home electrical wiring includes 110 volt outlets and 220 volt outlets and receptacles which are common place in every home. See how wiring electrical outlets for the home are done.
- Bedroom Electrical Wiring Requirements
- This wiring diagram and pictures explain the basic bedroom electrical code wiring requirements required for most new or remodel projects.
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
|More articles about TV Outlet and Home Electrical Wiring:|
|« Previous||Next »|
|How To Ground Old Two-Wire Outlets||Switching a Bathroom Fan and Light Separately|