» Residential Electrical Wiring: Guide to Home Wiring
» Need Electrical Help? Ask the Electrician
Installing an Electrical Outlet for a Wall Mounted TV
How to Install an Electrical Outlet for a Wall Mounted TV – There are some great cut-in boxes that can be used in either the wall or the ceiling which will avoid having to open up the wall.
Methods for Installing Power for a Wall Mounted TV
[ad#block] I have a wall mount TV that I want to install in a bedroom, close to the ceiling.
- I want the electric outlet work to be as non-invasive as possible.
- Is it OK to go through the attic and mount a box to a rafter such that the outlet will actually be in the ceiling instead of in the wall?
- This way, I can run Romex to the box and properly secure it to the rafter.
- If I put a renovation box in the wall and drill a hole through the top plate of the wall structure, I can’t get into the wall cavity to secure the Romex to a stud.
- Unless I take out a section of wall board and re-plaster.
This electrical wiring question came from: Mark, a Homeowner from Elburn, IL
Thanks for your electrical wiring question Mark.
How to Install an Electrical Outlet for a Wall Mounted TV
- Absolutely Mark, I have done this several times. Basically you install an electrical outlet box in the ceiling location of the TV.
- This can be done for both the power and the coax cable. Understand that there are some great cut-in electrical boxes that can be used in either the wall or the ceiling which will avoid having to open up the wall.
- A cable from a power source will need to be installed from the attic area or brought up from an existing wall receptacle.
- While your at it, consider installing speaker wiring for a bedroom surround sound experience.
The Following Resources will assist you to Installing Electrical Power for a Wall Mounted TV
- Bedroom Electrical Wiring
- Electrical Junction Boxes
- Electrical Code for How Many Wires in Junction Boxes
- Electrical Outlets
- Electrical Wire for the Home
- Electrical outlet wiring
- Wiring Electrical Outlet for the Home
- Home electrical wiring includes 110 volt outlets and 220 volt outlets and receptacles which are common place in every home. See how wiring electrical outlets for the home are done.
- Bedroom Electrical Wiring Requirements
- This wiring diagram and pictures explain the basic bedroom electrical code wiring requirements required for most new or remodel projects.
The following may also be helpful for you:
Electrical Wiring Video #2
Home Electrical Wiring Videos about this Topic and More
Dave's Companion Guide to Home Electrical Wiring:
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
|More articles about TV Outlet and Home Electrical Wiring:|
|« Previous||Next »|
|How To Ground Old Two-Wire Outlets||Switching a Bathroom Fan and Light Separately|