Switch Outlet Wiring for an Old House
I’m installing an outlet off of a wall switch. I have no white wire to hook up to, how can I do this? How to Install Home Electrical Wiring for a Wall Outlet.
Identifying Electrical Switched Outlet Wiring
[ad#block]Electrical Question: I’m installing an outlet off of a wall switch. I have no white wire to hook up to. This is a very old house and I can’t get the outlet to work.
This electrical question came from: Rietta, a Handy-Woman from Michigan.
See more about Home Wiring for Michigan
Thanks for your electrical question Rietta.
Electrical Wiring for a Wall Outlet
Application: Adding a 120 Volt Outlet.
Skill Level: Beginner to Intermediate – Best if wired by a Licensed Electrical Contractor.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools and a Voltage Tester.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience, ability to work with tools and the number of outlets that will be added and the access to the location for the new outlets.
Precaution: Identify the existing outlet circuit, turn it OFF and Tag it with a Note before working with the wiring.
Notice: Installing additional outlet wiring should be done through the local building authority, installed according to applicable local and national electrical codes, with a permit, and have the required inspections.
Installing Electrical Wiring for a 120v Outlet
- Neutral Wire for the Outlet Circuit
- When installing electrical wiring for a 120 volt outlet a neutral wire will be required. As you have found, many times a neutral wire may not be found in a light switch box.
- Locating a Neutral Wire
- In order to locate a circuit that has a white neutral wire the wiring will need to be identified using a voltage tester.
- Wiring Diagrams for Outlets
- Please examine the wiring diagrams found in the list below and throughout the website that matches the electrical wiring that is desired.
More about Wiring Outlets
- Wiring Electrical Outlet for the Home
- Home electrical wiring includes 110 volt outlets and 220 volt outlets and receptacles which are common place in every home. See how wiring electrical outlets for the home are done.
Wiring a Light Switch
Wiring a Light Switch – Diagram 1
Troubleshooting Electrical Wiring
Licensed Electrician Reveals the Secrets of Successful Electrical Troubleshooting Methods used to solve the majority of the home electrical problems and wiring failures encountered.
This link is helpful as a Handy Woman
The following may also be helpful for you:
Electrical Wiring Video #2
Home Electrical Wiring Videos about this Topic and More
Dave's Companion Guide to Home Electrical Wiring:
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
|More articles about Electrical Wiring, Home Wiring, Switched Outlet and Home Electrical Wiring:|
|« Previous||Next »|
|Why Air Conditioners Trip Circuit Breakers||GFCI Circuit Protection for Shed Wiring|