GFCI Circuit Protection for Shed Wiring
How to Install GFCI Circuit Wiring for a Shed: Protect the individual circuits that will be readily accessible with a GFCI device, outlet or circuit breaker.
Shed Electrical Circuits and GFCI Requirements
Electrical Question: I have a sub-panel in my home utility shed. I have a 30 amp circuit breaker in that panel that I want to run 12-2 UF from, underground, to another shed.
- I want to feed 4 outlets and a ceiling fan in the second shed.
- I want to run first to a 20 amp GFCI outlet (that I already have), then through the other 3 outlets and end at the ceiling fan.
- Somebody said I have to have a 30 amp GFCI, but I will never pull even 20 on this circuit (the fan is .5 and I will never have more than 5 other devices plugged in, none of them high amp).
- Can I use the 20 a GFCI on the 30 a circuit?
Background: Erasmus, a Homeowner from Rocky Mount, NC.
Additional Comments: Great website.
Thanks for your electrical question Erasmus.
Electrical Wiring for a Shed
Installing The Correct Size GFCI Circuit Breaker
- You cannot protect a 30 amp circuit with a 20 amp GFCI outlet.
- Circuit wiring, circuit breaker and the outlets must be sized properly to maintain circuit integrity.
- Protect the individual circuits that will be readily accessible with a GFCI device, outlet or circuit breaker.
This list of articles will help you learn about the features and benefits provided by GFI and GFCI Receptacles and how they are wired.
Electrical Circuit Breaker
A guide to home electrical circuit breakers and how they work to protect your electrical wiring. When properly installed, your home electrical wiring is protected by a circuit protection device.
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
|More articles about Electrical, GFI-GFCI and Home Electrical Wiring:|
|« Previous||Next »|
|Switch Outlet Wiring for an Old House||Installing a Washer Dryer Unit with an Existing Dryer Plug|