Replacing Ceiling Light Fixtures with Ceiling Fans
Darrell in San Antonio Texas asks: How can I replace two ceiling light fixtures with two ceiling fans that also have a light kit? How to Wire Ceiling Fans and Wall Switches.
Wall Switch Wiring for Ceiling Fans
Electrical Question: How can I replace two ceiling light fixtures with two ceiling fans that also have a light kit?
- The 2 ceiling lights are controlled by one on and off wall switch. I need to know what wires are connected from the wall to the fans. I think there is a jumper cable from the 1st light to the second light.
- The cable coming from the wall switch is a 3-wire cable, white, black and a copper ground.
- Each fan has white, black and blue wires coming from it and a green ground wire on the fan bracket brace.
- I did try wiring the fans but when I turned the wall switch to the ON position, there was a pop and the black wire broke in 2 pieces.
- I need a diagram that shows the wiring from the wall switch to each fan showing exactly what wire connects to each other wire for the Hot, Neutral and Ground wires.
Thanks for any kind of help you can get me.
This electrical question came from: Darrell, from San Antonio, Texas.
See more about Home Wiring for Texas
Thanks for your electrical question Darrell.
How to Wire Ceiling Fans and Wall Switches
Application: Installing a Ceiling Fan.
Skill Level: Beginner to Intermediate – Best if wired by a Licensed Electrical Contractor.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools, a non-aluminum ladder and Voltage Tester.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience, ability to work with tools and access to the ceiling fan.
Precaution: Identify the ceiling fan circuit, turn it OFF and Tag it with a Note before working with the wiring.
Wiring Ceiling Fans and Wall Switches
- Step-by-step pictures – Easy wiring diagrams and installation guide – Light and fan switch variations.
How to Install Ceiling Fans
- Take the mystery out of ceiling fan wiring. Ceiling Fans are a great way to lower your energy bill and brighten up one of your favorite rooms.
Electrical Wiring Diagrams
- Home electrical wiring diagrams are an important tool for completing your electrical projects An electrical wiring diagram can be as simple as a diagram showing how to install a new switch in your hallway, or as complex as the complete electrical blueprint for your new home or home improvement project.
Light Switch – Diagram 1
- Fully Explained Light Switch Wiring Diagrams. Detailed Electrical Wiring Diagrams and Pictures assist your Home Electrical Projects.
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
The Safest Way to Test Electrical Devices and Identify Electric Wires!The Non-Contact Electrical Tester
This is a testing tool that I have had in my personal electrical tool pouch for years, and is the first test tool I grab to help identify electrical wiring. It is a Non-contact tester that I use to easily Detect Voltage in Cables, Cords, Circuit Breakers, Lighting Fixtures, Switches, Outlets and Wires. Simply insert the end of the tester into an outlet, lamp socket, or hold the end of the tester against the wire you wish to test. Very handy and easy to use.
The Quickest Way to Check for Faulty Electrical Wiring!The Plug-In Outlet Tester
This is the first tool I grab to troubleshoot a problem with outlet circuit wiring. This popular tester is also used by most inspectors to test for power and check the polarity of circuit wiring.
It detects probable improper wiring conditions in standard 110-125 VAC outlets Provides 6 probable wiring conditions that are quick and easy to read for ultimate efficiency Lights indicate if wiring is correct and indicator light chart is included Tests standard 3-wire outlets UL Listed Light indicates if wiring is incorrect Very handy and easy to use.
Strip Off Wire Insulation without Nicking and Damaging the Electric Wire!The Wire Stripper and Wire Cutter
My absolute favorite wire stripping tool that I have had in my personal electrical tool pouch for years, and this is the tool I use to safely strip electrical wires.
This handy tool has multiple uses:
The wire gauges are shown on the side of the tool so you know which slot to use for stripping insulation.
The end of the tool can be used to grip and bend wire which is handy for attaching wire onto the screw terminals of switches and outlets..
The wire stripper will work on both solid and stranded wire. This tool is Very Handy and Easy to Use.
|More articles about Ceiling Fans, Electrical Wiring, Wiring Configurations, Wiring With Fixtures and Home Electrical Wiring:|
|« Previous||Next »|
|Adding Electrical Wiring in the Home||Panel Wiring for a Home Theater|