Replacing an Older Light Fixture
I am at my daughter’s home and she has asked me to replace the light fixture above her kitchen sink: How to Update Older Light Fixture Wiring.
Electrical Wiring and Older Home Light Fixtures
Electrical Question:I am at my daughter’s home and she has asked me to replace the light fixture above her kitchen sink.
- The previous fixture is a non-grounded single bulb, attached to wires that come through a hole in the cabinet above.
- Wires come directly from the house wiring (house built early 50’s). Help!
This electrical wiring question came from: Del from Tulsa, Oklahoma.
See more about Home Wiring for Oklahoma
Thanks for your electrical wiring question Del.
Application: Replace an Old Light Fixture.
Skill Level: Beginner to Intermediate – best performed by a Licensed Electrician.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools and a Voltage Tester.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience, ability to work with tools.
Precaution: Identify the circuit, turn it OFF and Tag it with a Note before working with the wiring.
How to Update Older Light Fixture Wiring
- Del, I fully understand your situation. I have been on jobs where a light fixture needs to be replaced only to find that the original wiring is just poked out through the wall. So in a case such as this you need to make that part of the electrical wiring up to code or at least make it safer.
- Obviously, if the wiring is so bad that the insulation crumbles and falls off, then the homeowner may need to consider electrical wiring repairs or better yet, begin to upgrade the wiring one area at a time, if not the whole house.
- If the wiring is in good shape then it is necessary to install a light fixture box so that the wiring may be contained in an approved electrical enclosure and the new light fixture will be mounted and installed onto a compatible enclosure as well. For electrical junction boxes and light fixture box information, just follow the link below.
Electrical Tip about Home Improvement Electrical Wiring
Improving a home by bringing the electrical wiring up to code is essential for improving the safety of your home and your family, and it should dramatically improve the value of the home as well.
More about Electrical Wiring and Light Fixtures
- Electrical Wiring
- Kitchen Electrical Wiring
- Lighting For The Home
- Lighting Electrical Codes
- Home Electrical Wire
- Electrical Wire for the Home
- Complete listing of electrical wire types and parts used for home projects with electrical code information serves as selection guidelines.
Electrical Junction Boxes for Home Wiring
- Understanding electrical junction boxes and what they are used for. Home electrical wiring is the process of installing electrical wire to a location that will serve electrical devices or an appliance. One very important component is the box where the wire will be installed. The type and size of the home wiring electrical boxes will depend upon the circuit size, application and its location.
- Kitchen Electrical Wiring
- Fully Explained Photos and Wiring Diagrams for Kitchen Electrical Wiring with Code Requirements for most new or remodel projects.
For more information about Electrical Safety
- Home Electrical Safety
- A new approach to keep kids and electricity apart with hopes to prevent children from being injured by electricity.
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
|More articles about Electrical Wiring, Replacing a Light Fixture and Home Electrical Wiring:|
|« Previous||Next »|
|How to Wire a Switch for a Light Fixture||How To Move A Light Fixture To A New Location|