Replacing a Light Fixture With a Ceiling Fan
I am replacing a light fixture with a ceiling fan. How do I connect the wires to the new ceiling fan? How to Install a Ceiling Fan where there was a Light Fixture.
Light Fixture and Ceiling Fan Wiring
Electrical Question: I am replacing a light fixture with a ceiling fan. How do I connect the wires to the new ceiling fan?
- I am installing a ceiling fan in a spot where there was just a standard light on a single switch.
- I took down the light and looking at the wires I found 2 sets of wires coming into the box. black,white and ground on both sets.
- I found the 2 black wires connected to each other and the white were connected on either side of the light socket. I took this all apart and tested wires.
- I found that only one set of the wires were hot (black) and the other set had no power now that I took the blacks apart.
- I am trying to wire the fan so it works with the switch.
- I have to believe the other set of wires in the box are from the switch but the power starts at the box ? I am lost.
This electrical wiring question came from: Chet, a Homeowner from Rochester, New York.
Thanks for your electrical wiring question Chet.
How to Install a Ceiling Fan where there was a Light Fixture
Skill Level: Beginner to Intermediate.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools, a non-aluminum ladder and Voltage Tester.
Estimated Time: Depends on personal level experience, ability to work with tools and access to the ceiling fan.
Precaution: Identify the ceiling fan circuit, turn it OFF and Tag it with a Note before working with the wiring.
When install a ceiling fan where a light fixture has been it is important to identify the existing wiring and make sure that the electrical box in the ceiling is rated for the weight of the ceiling fan as shown here in the installation pages.
Step-by-step pictures – Easy ceiling fan wiring diagrams and installation guide – Light and fan switch variations.
Wiring ceiling fans
How to Install Ceiling Fans
Take the mystery out of ceiling fan wiring. Ceiling Fans are a great way to lower your energy bill and brighten up one of your favorite rooms.
The Following will assist you with your Ceiling Fan
Electrical Junction Boxes for Home Wiring
Understanding electrical junction boxes and what they are used for. Home electrical wiring is the process of installing electrical wire to a location that will serve electrical devices or an appliance. One very important component is the box where the wire will be installed. The type and size of the home wiring electrical boxes will depend upon the circuit size, application and its location.
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
|« How To Wire Light Fixture Cord Wires||Identifying and Repairing Electrical Wiring »|