Plug-In Testers and Faulty Receptacle Outlet Readings
My plug in tester says the wiring is wrong, How should I fix the problem? Plug-In Tester Readings, Re-Wiring a Receptacle Outlet, How to Repair Outlet Electrical Wiring Problem.
Plug-In Tester Shows an Outlet Problem
Electrical Question: My plug in tester says the outlet wiring is wrong, How should I fix the problem?
- My “Bull Head Tester” or circuit outlet analyzer is indicating that a defective receptacle I was trouble shooting needs the ground and neutral wires reversed.
- Is the ground bus bar always located at the bottom of the panel box and the neutral bus bar always to the right?
- All the neutral wires are on the bottom bus bar and the ground wires are all on the right bus bar.
This electrical repair question came from: Roy, a Inspector from Durham, North Carolina.
Thanks for your electrical repair question Roy.
How to Repair a Outlet Wiring Problem
Application: Troubleshooting and Repairing Outlet Problems.
Skill Level: Intermediate to Advanced – Best performed by a Licensed Electrician.
Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools, Voltage Tester or Volt Ohm Meter or plug-in circuit analyzer.
Estimated Time: Depends on the age of the home and the condition of the electrical wiring and access to the circuit wiring to be evaluated.
Precaution: Identify the outlet circuit, turn it OFF and then Tag it with a Note before performing any wiring inspections or electrical repairs.
Re-Wiring a Receptacle Outlet
- Not all ground and neutral terminal strips are in the same locations.
- The layout of the electrical panel may be unique to the age and brand of the panel.
- If the plug in tester identifies that wiring is incorrect then the circuit wiring should be identified at the outlet locations and then repaired as needed. In most cases, the circuit wiring in the panel is correct and does not need to be changed, unless recent wiring changes have been made.
Plug-In Tester Readings
- When a plug-in receptacle outlet tester indicates that an outlet is not wired correctly the problem is usually the wiring at the outlet and not at the electrical panel.
- In fact the neutral and the ground wire should never be reversed in a sub-panel where the ground and neutrals are isolated and on their own terminal strip.
How to Test an Outlet Circuit
How to use a Plug in Tester and Circuit Analyzers for Testing Outlets
- The circuit should be positively identified and shut off. The wiring at the outlet should be inspected and corrected as needed.
- If the outlet wiring is correct and the plug-in tester shows a fault then there may be a problem somewhere else within the circuit wiring, such as another outlet box, switch box or a junction box.
- Polarity testing of the affected circuit may be required which is best performed by a qualified licensed electrician who will be able to identify the problem and make the necessary repairs.
More about Electrical Repairs for Home Wiring
Understanding Electrical Testers
When working on home electrical wiring using voltage testers can play an important part in electrical safety. Electrical testers enable you to identify electrical circuits and help prevent the possibility of accidental electrical shock.
Types of Electrical Testers
Wiring Electrical Outlets for the Home
Home electrical wiring includes 110 volt outlets and 220 volt outlets and receptacles which are common place in every home. See how wiring electrical outlets for the home are done.
House Wiring Circuits and Circuit Breakers
This article looks at common 120 volt and 240 volt house wiring circuits and the circuit breakers that are installed identifying the types and amperage sizes used in most homes.
For more information about Repairing Electrical Wiring
Repairing Electrical Wiring
Repairing Electrical Wiring
Electrical Splices – Part 1 – Emergency electrical wiring repairs should be made using the right materials for your particular application.
Here are a few choices to help you decide what you’ll need.
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
|« Voltage Feedback Causes TV Signal Loss Due to Possible Grounding Problem||Generator Receptacle Configurations »|