Permitted Electrical Cords for Dryer
How to Make Sure Your Dryer Cord is Correct: Before using alternative dryer cords you may want to read this
Permitted Electrical Cords for Dryer Wiring
Question: I have a Kenmore Elite Dryer (Electric) Model 110.62952100 (120V/240V, 28A, 60Hz) and want to replace the current power cord with a 25ft power cord.
- The current power cord is a 10 gauge, 4 wire SRDT power supply cord with a right angle NEMA 14-30P plug.
- Can I replace with 25 foot 8 gauge, 4 wire type SOOW Power Supply Cable?
- I would attach to one end of the 25 ft power supply cable a Hubbell HBL9432C NEMA 14-30P Angled Plug and to the other end, 4 Non-Insulated Ring Terminals, 8 AWG, 1/4 Stud.
Background: Greg, a Homeowner from Atlanta, GA
Thanks for your electrical question Greg.
How to Make Sure Your Dryer Cord is Correct
Before using an alternative dryer cord you may want to read this.
Your proposal poses a few problems:
- The manufacturer states that an outlet be placed within 2 feet of either side of the dryer, and that an extension cord is not allowed.
- The cord length is recommended to be 4 feet long.
- Installing the type and length of cord that you are proposing is in reality an extension cord.
Here is What I Would Do
- An alternative solution would be to place an extension junction box at the existing circuit location and install an approved surface conduit to the proposed location using four 10 gauge copper wires to a new junction box location where the dryer outlet can be installed within the specified 2 feet area of the dryer.
- Secure the conduit with straps at six foot intervals and within twelve inches of the junction boxes.
- Use wire connectors to splice each identified wire.
- Place a blank cover over the original junction box location.
RESOURCES FOR WIRING A DRYER CORD
Wiring a Dryer for 3-Wire and 4-Wire Cords
3-Wire and 4-Wire Configurations for Clothes Dryers
See an electric dryer installation with a typical 220 Volt electric power cord wiring system. You may find yourself with either a 3-wire or 4-wire electric dryer, or a 3-wire or 4-wire outlet. Lets look a how the electric dryer is wired and what to do if your cord does not match the plug.
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
The Safest Way to Test Electrical Devices and Identify Electric Wires!The Non-Contact Electrical Tester
This is a testing tool that I have had in my personal electrical tool pouch for years, and is the first test tool I grab to help identify electrical wiring. It is a Non-contact tester that I use to easily Detect Voltage in Cables, Cords, Circuit Breakers, Lighting Fixtures, Switches, Outlets and Wires. Simply insert the end of the tester into an outlet, lamp socket, or hold the end of the tester against the wire you wish to test. Very handy and easy to use.
The Quickest Way to Check for Faulty Electrical Wiring!The Plug-In Outlet Tester
This is the first tool I grab to troubleshoot a problem with outlet circuit wiring. This popular tester is also used by most inspectors to test for power and check the polarity of circuit wiring.
It detects probable improper wiring conditions in standard 110-125 VAC outlets Provides 6 probable wiring conditions that are quick and easy to read for ultimate efficiency Lights indicate if wiring is correct and indicator light chart is included Tests standard 3-wire outlets UL Listed Light indicates if wiring is incorrect Very handy and easy to use.
Strip Off Wire Insulation without Nicking and Damaging the Electric Wire!The Wire Stripper and Wire Cutter
My absolute favorite wire stripping tool that I have had in my personal electrical tool pouch for years, and this is the tool I use to safely strip electrical wires.
This handy tool has multiple uses:
The wire gauges are shown on the side of the tool so you know which slot to use for stripping insulation.
The end of the tool can be used to grip and bend wire which is handy for attaching wire onto the screw terminals of switches and outlets..
The wire stripper will work on both solid and stranded wire. This tool is Very Handy and Easy to Use.
|More articles about Dryer Cords and Home Electrical Wiring:|
|« Previous||Next »|
|Ceiling Fan and Light Start Delay Problem||Electrical Cables Through Wood Framing|