Ceiling Fan and Light Start Delay Problem
Your Ceiling Fan and Light May Have a Delayed Start, possibly a full second before the power comes on
Ceiling Fan Delayed Start and Possible Cause
[ad#block]Electrical Question: An electrician just installed a ceiling fan in my son’s room yesterday.
- The ceiling fan has a light fixture with bulbs.
- A wall switch provides the power to the ceiling.
- We had just a regular light fixture before.
- The light would come on immediately when the wall switch was flipped up.
- Now with the ceiling fan and lights, it takes like a full second before the power comes on.
- My question is:
- Is this okay to leave it this way?
- Does it pose any safety threat?
- My question is:
Background: Tom, a Homeowner from NY
Thanks for your electrical question Tom.
Ceiling Fan and Light Delayed Start
- Tom, I would check the owners manual and call the electrician and explain the situation.
- You have not stated what kind of wall switch is being used for the new ceiling fan which could be a factor if it is the wrong switch, such as a light dimmer switch being used for both functions of the ceiling fan will not work right because a dimmer switch is not designed for inductive motor loads.
- I am curious if the electrician installed an Approved Ceiling Fan Box in place of the existing light fixture box?
- It does not hurt to ask questions to the electricians that are hired, and for goodness sake, make sure they really are qualified electricians and ask for credentials.
- If you have hired them to do a job they should be qualified and must do the job according to code.
I have provided the following links that lead to fully detailed information on this website that will assist you with your Ceiling Fan and Light
How to Install Ceiling Fans and Wiring
Step-by-step pictures – Easy wiring diagrams and installation guide – Light and fan switch variations.
Ceiling Fan Wiring
Ceiling Fan Wiring Diagram
Ceiling Fan Installation
How to Install Ceiling Fans
Take the mystery out of ceiling fan wiring. Ceiling Fans are a great way to lower your energy bill and brighten up one of your favorite rooms.
The following may also be helpful for you:
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
The Safest Way to Test Electrical Devices and Identify Electric Wires!The Non-Contact Electrical Tester
This is a testing tool that I have had in my personal electrical tool pouch for years, and is the first test tool I grab to help identify electrical wiring. It is a Non-contact tester that I use to easily Detect Voltage in Cables, Cords, Circuit Breakers, Lighting Fixtures, Switches, Outlets and Wires. Simply insert the end of the tester into an outlet, lamp socket, or hold the end of the tester against the wire you wish to test. Very handy and easy to use.
The Quickest Way to Check for Faulty Electrical Wiring!The Plug-In Outlet Tester
This is the first tool I grab to troubleshoot a problem with outlet circuit wiring. This popular tester is also used by most inspectors to test for power and check the polarity of circuit wiring.
It detects probable improper wiring conditions in standard 110-125 VAC outlets Provides 6 probable wiring conditions that are quick and easy to read for ultimate efficiency Lights indicate if wiring is correct and indicator light chart is included Tests standard 3-wire outlets UL Listed Light indicates if wiring is incorrect Very handy and easy to use.
Strip Off Wire Insulation without Nicking and Damaging the Electric Wire!The Wire Stripper and Wire Cutter
My absolute favorite wire stripping tool that I have had in my personal electrical tool pouch for years, and this is the tool I use to safely strip electrical wires.
This handy tool has multiple uses:
The wire gauges are shown on the side of the tool so you know which slot to use for stripping insulation.
The end of the tool can be used to grip and bend wire which is handy for attaching wire onto the screw terminals of switches and outlets..
The wire stripper will work on both solid and stranded wire. This tool is Very Handy and Easy to Use.
|More articles about Ceiling Fans, Switch Options and Home Electrical Wiring:|
|« Previous||Next »|
|Electrical Wiring – Ask The Electrician||Permitted Electrical Cords for Dryer|