Outlets Stopped After Heavy Rains
When Electrical Outlets Stop Working: Storm related problems with electrical systems may be easy to fix, or may require an electrical repair job.
What to Check When Outlets Stop Working
Electrical Question: I have outside outlets that have stopped working after our recent heavy rains.
- They are not on a GFI outlet but rather a dedicated circuit I had installed when the house was built.
- Could the circuit breaker itself go bad?
This electrical troubleshooting question came from: Doug, a Handyman in Texas.
Thanks for your electrical repair question Doug.
When Electrical Outlets Stop Working
Storm related problems with electrical systems may be easy to fix, or may require an electrical repair job.
- A circuit breaker may go bad but I would make other checks.
- First make sure the breaker has been turned all the way off and then back on.
- Being that these are outside outlets they are required to be GFCI protected.
- I would double check all the exterior outlets and look for one that may be a GFI outlet.
- It seems very possible that this may be the case especially when you had this happen after the heavy rains.
More about Wiring Electrical Outlets
Wiring Electrical Outlet for the Home
Home electrical wiring includes 110 volt outlets and 220 volt outlets and receptacles which are common place in every home. See how wiring electrical outlets for the home are done.
Wiring GFI Outlets
Wiring Diagram GFI
The features and benefits of GFCI outlets and receptacles will give you a clear understanding of the importance why these safety devices are required by code to help protect you and your family against accidental electrical shock hazards.
Electrical Wiring Protection using Circuit Breakers
A guide to home electrical circuit breakers and how they work to protect your electrical wiring. When properly installed, your home electrical wiring is protected by a circuit protection device.
For more information about Troubleshooting
Troubleshooting Electrical Wiring
Licensed Electrician Reveals the Secrets of Successful Electrical Troubleshooting Methods used to solve the majority of the home electrical problems and wiring failures encountered.
The following may also be helpful for you:
Electrical Wiring Video #2
Home Electrical Wiring Videos about this Topic and More
Learn more with my Home Electrical Video Course:
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
|More articles about Electrical Troubleshooting, GFI Outlet, Outlets and Home Electrical Wiring:|
|« Previous||Next »|
|Why a Dryer Does Not Dry Clothes||Electrical Wiring for Bathroom GFI Outlets|