» Need Electrical Help? Ask the Electrician
Outlets Loose Power Due to Space Heater
How Large Appliances Could Cause Electrical Circuit Damage and Failure: The wiring will need to be identified and reconnected with approved insulated connectors.
Repairing Burnt Wires Best Performed By Qualified Electrician
[ad#block]Electrical Question: My outlet burnt out from a space heater and now the outlets and everything else connected to it has lost power and will not come on, including the steam heater.
- I even changed the breakers and cut the burnt wire.
- When I cut the white wire it tripped the circuit breaker but when I tap the black and white wire together it does nothing.
This electrical wiring question came from: Donte, a Contractor from Philadelphia Pennsylvania.
Thanks for your electrical wiring question Donte.
How Large Appliances Could Cause Electrical Circuit Damage and Failure
Application: Electrical Safety a Wall Outlet.
Skill Level: Intermediate to Advanced. This electrical wiring project is best performed by a Licensed Electrical Contractor.
Electrical Tools Required: Basic Electricians Pouch Hand Tools, Voltage Tester, and appropriate Safety Gear.
Estimated Time: Depends on the personal level experience, ability to work with tools, install electrical circuit wiring, and the available access to the project area.
Electrical Safety: Identify the electrical power source to the Wall Outlet, turn it OFF and Tag with a Note before working with the electrical wiring.
Electrical Wiring Parts and Materials: Electrical parts and materials for the Wall Outlet should be approved for the specific project and compliant with local and national electrical codes.
Electrical Codes and Inspections: Installing or changing home electrical wiring should be done according to local and national electrical codes as adopted in Pennsylvania. A permit and inspections may also be required.
Repairing Burnt Electrical Wires
- Large appliances require a great deal of electricity and often they require a dedicated circuit.
- When a large appliance is plugged into a shared circuit it could be a problem especially with older homes and electrical wiring and circuit components.
- The problem with the outlet circuit mentioned in this question was indeed due to the space heater, however the repair was not performed correctly.
- The wiring will need to be identified and reconnected with approved insulated connectors.
- Burnt or damaged electrical wiring must be replaced or restored to maintain circuit integrity.
- This is best performed by a qualified licensed electrical contractor.
More about Electrical Wiring
Electrical outlet wiring
Wiring Electrical Outlet for the Home
Home electrical wiring includes 110 volt outlets and 220 volt outlets and receptacles which are common place in every home. See how wiring electrical outlets for the home are done.
Electrical Wiring Protection using Circuit Breakers
A guide to home electrical circuit breakers and how they work to protect your electrical wiring. When properly installed, your home electrical wiring is protected by a circuit protection device.
Electrical Wire for the Home
Complete listing of electrical wire types and parts used for home projects with electrical code information serves as selection guidelines.
For more information about Lost Power
Troubleshooting Lost Power
Licensed Electrician Reveals the Secrets of Successful Electrical Troubleshooting Methods used to solve the majority of the home electrical problems and wiring failures encountered.
The following may also be helpful for you:
Electrical Wiring Video #2
Home Electrical Wiring Videos about this Topic and More
Dave's Companion Guide to Home Electrical Wiring:
Be Careful and Be Safe - Never Work on Energized Circuits!
Consult your Local Building Department about Permits and Inspections for all Electric Wiring Projects.
|More articles about Electrical Repair, Outlets, Troubleshooting and Home Electrical Wiring:|
|« Previous||Next »|
|Installing a Electricity Cost Monitor||Replacing Recessed Lights with Pendant Light Fixtures|